3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ASUS P5ND2 SLi Won't Boot

Hi,

I have just bought an Asus P5ND2 SLi board and used it to construct a base system:

* Asus P5ND2 SLi
    * Intel P4 3.4 650/775
    * ThermalTake copper based fan
    * GeCube Radeon X800GTO DDR3 256Mb PCI-X video
    * 1 x 1Gb PC4200/667 DDR2 memory (I have 2 but only used one so far)

First of all, I am aware of some stability issues (http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPR-ASUS_P...D-192340004484) that requires drivers and patching to be done in the correct order but it doesn't (as someone on another forum suggested) sound logical that there is a generic fault with the motherboard not only because it has had some superb reviews (http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=137&type=expert) but because ASUS has (to my mind) a fairly good name and I sincerely doubt they'd release a board in that state.

Anyway the system won't boot (I've never successfully started the system, I only put the system together 3 days ago) ... it does nothing for about 10 seconds, gives 1 long beep (5 to 10 seconds at a guess) and then does nothing else. Despite the fact that fitting the ThermalTake fan to the board was a pain (I had to disassemble the fan to do it, probably more an issue of case design than anything else) I'm fairly sure the CPU must be working as the fan starts up and the system issues some kind of POST beep code and I would have though that implied the CPU was fitted OK.

I've tried looking up the POST beep code and can't find this particular one but I suspect that the memory is the problem for several reasons (in my defence I bought the memory before I had the board and manual):

* If I remove the memory from the system I get the same beep code.
    * The manual says the following, "This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128Mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules" and the memory I have has 8 chip either side so I'm guessing that would be a problem.

Although the video doesn't work yet I'm guessing that's just because the system never got that far.

So I'm posting this to ask if anyone has any better ideas as to what the problem is?

If I am right (the board won't have damaged the memory will it?) the situation is entirely recoverable as the memory was purchased at a very reasonable price from the US and with luck I should at least make enough to come out even, perhaps even ahead and get myself closer to buying the 4 SATA2 drives I want.

Any advice or guidance greatly appreciated.

James

Thanks

Re: ASUS P5ND2 SLi Won't Boot

James,
    I agree that the memory seems to be your problem. It should not have been damaged during your trials, so it should be returnable , IF, repeat IF the memory dealer allows returns. Some don't.
    All memory is NOT the same and MUST be matched to the motherboard.

Try going to Crucial Memory for a good memory selector wizard that will show you the exact memory need for that particular MB.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Viking,

Thanks for that. I have more information (well more beeps mainly) and it's a Phoenix Award BIOS:

I tried the system with no memory ... I got about 6 seconds silence followed by a 13 second beep, a short pause and then a continuous beep.

When I put the memory back in (in the A1 slot) I got about 40 seconds silence followed by a continuous series of 3 to 4 second beeps with short pauses in between.

Despite checking out many sites on Phoenix/Award beep codes I still can't tell what that means (trust the board I chose to have a really complicated BIOS)!!!!

Thanks

James,
    According to Crucial, the memory type for your MB is ( 2x1G )

[b]DDR2 PC2-4200
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Viking,

Thanks for that ... just so you don't think I'm dumb I was aware you can't boot a system with no memory, I was simply attempting to compare beep codes between a system with no memory and a system with (presumed) wrong memory :-)

I'm a little unwilling to try the other memory stick on the chance that running the wrong memory in the board might have ruined one chip and I don't want to ruin both.

I'm still not utterly convinced the board isn't faulty (following my ham-handed attempts to fit the ThermalTake fan) :-(

James

Thanks

Hi James,

>I was aware you can't boot a system with no memory.

Nothing implied there at all, just trying to cover all the bases.
    You mentioned that you checked various sites for beep code decoding.
    Have you tried this one? PHOENIX
    As it says, there are over 100 codes for AwardPhoenix and this seems to cover them.

Another thing, have you gone into the BIOS itself and set the settings to the default, just to make sure there is no hidden setting that might throw things off? Worth a shot.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My last Asus board "spoke" it's BIOS error codes through the sound card speaker port.

One thing I had to do once was to clear the BIOS (by jumpering two pins. Check your manual). Apparently somewhere along the way, the BIOS had been corrupted. Once reest, it was fine.

Now, I give mwave $9 to mount the $#@_% cpu and make sure it works. Seems worth it <g>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob,

<hr>Nothing implied there at all, just trying to cover all the bases.<hr>

OK ... just didn't want to look dumb (a speciality of mine these days ... must be age)!

<hr>You mentioned that you checked various sites for beep code decoding. Have you tried this one? PHOENIX. As it says, there are over 100 codes for AwardPhoenix and this seems to cover them.<hr>

Yes I'd seen that one ... it doesn't seem to have my code which I would describe as either 1-1-1-1 repeating or just repeating beeps (when the memory was installed).

<hr>Another thing, have you gone into the BIOS itself and set the settings to the default, just to make sure there is no hidden setting that might throw things off? Worth a shot.<hr>

No ... I haven't got as far as seeing a working video signal yet so no BIOS :-(

James

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim,

<hr>My last Asus board "spoke" it's BIOS error codes through the sound card speaker port.<hr>

This is the point at which I think I wish I'd bought the Deluxe version which has POST speech ... mine doesn't I'm afraid.

<hr>One thing I had to do once was to clear the BIOS (by jumpering two pins. Check your manual). Apparently somewhere along the way, the BIOS had been corrupted. Once reest, it was fine.<hr>

Will try that!

<hr>Now, I give mwave $9 to mount the $#@_% cpu and make sure it works. Seems worth it<hr>

I don't know what the equivalent UK company would be but yes, right now it seems a good idea :-(

James

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>
    I don't know what the equivalent UK company would be but yes, right now it seems a good idea :-(
    <hr>

I dunno either, but I reckon that the moeny would be a different color and some stuff would be spelled diffferent.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stillers?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pittsburgh Steelers football club. Western Pennsylvanians have a regional accent that tends to shorten some vowels (among a _whole_ bunch of other fairly exclusive language bits). So "steel" is pronounced "still" with a very short "i" sound.

So younse guys got it an'at?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found the following at t-break on a review of your board. It appears this board can be a bit moody. Have you tried putting your video card in the other slot? Have you tried enableing dual card mode with one card as the reviewer did?

"While we usually have nothing to complain about ASUS boards, unfortunately, the same can't be said about the P5ND2-SLI unit that we received. Using our standard testbed equipment, which consists of a 6800GT card, we ran into a problem with the primary PCI-E x16 slot. While it worked, any 3D application would make the system crawl and post about half of the score it normally would.
    The only

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good News!

A colleague at work has a similar system and not only has he tested the memory I bought as working but his memory works fine in mine!

The system boots ... yay!

So now I have a plan ... the memory I bought is on sale on eBay and as soon as it sells I will buy the 667MHz equivalent of his memory (Crucial) instead.

My thanks to everyone for the replies :-)