tinkha

Finding largest value

I have a spreadsheet with dates in column A and a number (in this case, the number of steps taken on a given day) associated with each date in column B. I'd like to generate a list of the top 25 days step-wise. I know I can use LARGE to find the largest number of steps, and I can use MATCH to get the row number, so I can get the date. However, a problem arises if there are two days with the same number of steps. I'd like the most recent chronologically to appear above the older dates, but I'm having trouble even getting the dates for later occurrences of the same number of steps, since MATCH only returns the first match it finds.

How can I set up this list so that it'll handle multiple days with the same number of steps correctly?

I'm using Excel 2000 SR1a.

Thanks!

Andy

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Finding largest value

How about using Data/Filter and choosing Top 10 on the #of steps column (which really gives a dialog box to change the 10 to 25 or any other #).

tinkha

Re: Finding largest value

I actually approximated what I was looking for by adding a very small number (on the order of 1e-10) to the values I was looking for. This value increased slightly for each record (in chronological order), so each number was then unique and the most recent one was the highest. May not be the most elegant solution, but it seems to work for the precision that I'm working in.

Thanks for the suggestion, though... I'll have to examine it when I have a bit more time and see if I could make the sheet better.

Thanks!

Andy