2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

pst file won't open (2003)

I have a pst file that I need to view - it was used for my archived material. When I try to open it, Outlook says that the file is in use and can't be accessed. I have looked through all the auto-archive settings to make sure none of them point to this file and they don't.

I have tried two ways to view it: File - Open Outlook Data file and File - Import/Export....both with the same results. What part of Outlook could be using this file?

Interestingly enough, if I shut down Outlook and navigate to this .pst file through Explorer and try to cut or copy the file, I get this message from Explorer: "the process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file".

Any thoughts on how I might be able to access the contents of this .pst file?

Thank-you.

Thanks

Re: pst file won't open (2003)

Is there any possibility that another program, such as PDA synchronization program or an organizer/PIM program is using data in your older PST file? This could prevent the file from being properly closed by Outlook, which might lead to some of your symptoms.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. I don't have a PDA device hooked up to this computer...this is a bit perplexing. If the file was somehow corrupt, could that account for the messages I'm getting?

Thanks

Are you running any anti-virus software?
    Are you running any Winfax software?

Check the Read-Only attribute is not set, and it may be worth running a full Chkdsk on the drive.