Thanks

System Restore vs. reinstall software (XP Pro SP-2)

Although my specific problem is with Norton, I think my issue is more general, so I thought I'd post this one here.

Yesterday I ran LiveUpdate (the update component of Norton Internet Security 2005) and the process ended by telling me that all available updates had been downloaded and installed successfully. Prior to the updates everything had been working fine. In the wake of the updates I'm having multiple problems. I can't send or receive e-mail without disabling those parts of Norton, the log viewer is freezing if I try to view certain logs, and ccApp (one of Norton's core services) is intermittently hanging during Windows shutdown.

I'm exchanging e-mails with Norton tech support, but at this point I'm assuming (1) that there's no way I can simply undo yesterday's updates, and (2) Norton is about to advise that I uninstall and reinstall Norton.

This brings me to my more general question. I understand the very basics of what System Restore involves, but I don't really understand the implications. I have a System Restore point that's 2 days old (i.e., the day before the updates that seem to have triggered the problems). But assuming I can't also undo Norton's updates, I'm envisioning a potential "inconsistency" issue if the updates involved Registry adjustments and I "rewind" the Registry without rewinding the updates. Are System Restores generally considered inadvisable if you can't simultaneously uninstall any software (or updates) that was installed subsequent to the restore point?

More generally, given a choice between (1) doing a System Restore to a point prior to the Norton updates, or (2) completely uninstalling and reinstalling Norton, I'd be interested to hear if any Loungers have strong feelings that I should prefer one over the other as my "first attempt" to fix the problems. (I was leaning toward System Restore because it's my understanding that it's completely "undoable" but, as may be obvious from my post, I've never done a System Restore and would be grateful for any advice.)

Thanks

Re: System Restore vs. reinstall software (XP Pro SP-2)

I'd go for the System Restore first. You CAN undo the restore if need be.
    A much better thing to have would be an Imager like True Image. That way, EVERYTHING is set back to time of the Image date.

Have you checked your settings in the firewall part of Norton? ( I feel your pain on dealing with Symantec tech support in India or Pakistan or wherever.)
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Restore vs. reinstall software (XP Pro

I'm going with Bob on this one: System Restore may well solve your dilemma.

Generally speaking, any critical Windows files will be restored with System Restore. After a few clicks and a reboot you may find that further troubleshooting is unnecessary. That is, of course, until you try to update Norton again.

With that said, I've not had any problems with recent updates from Symantec, so it may be exacerbating an issue that you already have and were unaware of. Either way try System Restore first and see if it does what you need it to.
    -Mark

Thanks

Thanks to Bob and Mark for the input. I'm still waiting for further word from Norton. Meanwhile, 2 bits of follow-up:

1. If I decide to try a System Restore, can that be done while Norton is running? Or do I need to run it from Safe Mode or otherwise take special steps to keep Norton from interfering with the process? (Based on the web page I point to below, it sounds like you can't undo a System Restore if it's done in Safe Mode.)

2. In case anyone else is ever looking for a brief introduction to System Restore (and some advice), I found this MVPs page after I made my original post.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The short answer... yes, you can do it while Norton is running. Most of the actual changes take place upon reboot. I've never used System Restore in Safe Mode, so I can't speak to its efficacy in that manner.
    -Mark

Thanks

Mark and I are still in agreement on this.
    I have Norton on my machine and have always used SR under WIndows without running from safe mode.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!