Super Moderator
    Thanks

Outlining and Headings (Word 2003)

In Word 2000, when I apply outling levels, these are automatically treated as Heading styles.

In Word 2003 this does not happen by default. However, it is possible to change a setting somewhere so that Heading styles are automatically applied by outlining.

I did it a few months ago on one computer, but I can't remember how, and I can't find it anywhere in Help.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlining and Headings (Word 2003)

As far as I know, Heading1 is automatically assigned outline level 1 etc., and Outline view will automatically use the Heading styles, so I'm confused by "In Word 2003 this does not happen by default."

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I sometimes do some teaching in Word. A few months ago I was teaching Outlining, and was surprised to discover that Heading styles were not applied to the document automatically. At the time I looked into it, found some explanation, and modifed my computers so that Headings were applied and forgot about it.

I thought it was pretty daft not to apply headings automatically. To me that is fundamental to what outlining is about.

The other day, I was teaching it again, and the same thing happened, and now I cannot find out what I did last time.

I also can find no evidence that anyone else experiences the same problem.

In Help I can only find this:

"If you aren't using built-in heading styles, you can impose a hierarchical structure on your document by assigning outline levels to your paragraphs. The built-in heading styles apply specific formatting, while the outline levels apply an "invisible" format. Switch to print layout view, and select a paragraph you want to assign an outline level to. On the Format menu, click Paragraph, and then click the Indents and Spacing tab. In the Outline level box, click the level you want."

This suggests that you don't always have to use the Heading styles with outlining.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I haven't seen this. I've only started using Word 2003 recently, so that doesn't say much. I hope someone else can help you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am running Office 2003 SP2 and outline view seems to automatically set the appropriate heading styles for each level. Do you have this problem on a particular PC, or on more than one?

StuartR

Thanks

I've tried a few times using my own heading styles and setting their outline levels. It didn't seem completely stable, so I gave up and use the built-in styles.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This happens on each computer in a room in teach in.

My recollection is that it used to happen on my computers at home, until I fixed it. (Maybe my recollection of fixing it is wrong)

I should explain a little more.

If I take adocument, and format the headings using the inbuilt headings styles, I can then go to Outline and it all works as you would expect. The headings are recognised as outline levels, and if I promote/demote items, they get the appropriate style.

However, if I start a new document, and type out a list of words (all in the normal style) then go staight to outline, and start settings levels and organizing them, they all stay in the normal style, even though outline recognises them as level1 level2 etc.

The mystery for me is that I have a strong recollection of finding a setting somewhere that said something like "automatically apply heading styles in outline." I ticked it and the problem went away. But I cannot find it anymore.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I just created a new document and added a few paragraphs in normal style, then switched to Outline view.
    If I change the level of a paragraph to Level 1 by using the drop down level box then it remains in style normal
    If I change the level of a paragraph by using the Left and Right arrows then it changes to a Heading style.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Having read through this thread and <post#=539,518>post 539,518</post#> I still think that this is related in part the use of the drop down.
    1. Create a new document and type a few dummy lines
    2. Switch to outline view and use the Promote/Demote buttons to create a couple of headings - styles change as expected for me
    3. Now selecting the Outline Level dropdown and choosing a different level changes the style as expected also UNTIL you choose to apply "Body text" and then something else (see step 4)
    4. Now put your cursor in a Normal paragraph and choose the Outline Level dropdown and set a level other than "Body text". This sets a local change to the current paragraph for the outline level but does not change the style. (This can be reversed by pressing Ctl-Q which indicates the current paragraph had a local paragraph formatting change.)
    5. Pressing the Promote/Demote buttons whilst the Normal paragraph has a local level setting changes the level without changing the style from Normal
    6. Selecting "Body text" from the Outline Level dropdown (or pressing Ctl-Q) removes the local level change and restores the behaviour of the Promote/Demote buttons.

Thus comes Theory 1- There is a different behaviour for the outline promote/demote ONLY when the current paragraph:
    a. is not a heading
    b. has a local outline level other than Body text

Now in testing this theory I created a style which has an outline level other than Body text. This appears to render it immune from the promote/demote button until I made another local outline level change which then allows the promote/demote buttons to demonstrate your problem of levels changing without changing styles. Interestingly Ctl-Q on this paragraph resets the level to the style defintion but doesn't restore the immunity to Promote/Demote.

Thus come Theory 2 - Theory 1 is not quite right

The short story is - I can't think of any settings that would change the behaviour you are experiencing. It would be worth eliminating the possibility of macros from add-ins playing a part in your teaching environment though. Try these machines after opening Word with the Shift Key held down.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks for all that.

I don't have access to my teaching environment for a few days, but I have just found a way to recreate the problem at home (based on your reply.)

Modify the normal template so that the level associated with the normal style is something other than body text. (I just set it to level2)
    Start a new document, type out some headings in the normal style, then switch to outline view and promote/demote.
    The levels change, but the text all stays in normal style.

(This happens without any use of the dropdown.) Also happens if I use keyboard shortcuts rather than promote/demote buttons.

I will check this next time I do some teaching.
    Regards
    John