2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

automation error, missing my.show (Win XP Word 200

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

We use a very old macro from slipstick call My Outlook Calendar (http://www.slipstick.com/files/myolcal.zip) that makes a nice, easily updated web calendar from our Outlook calendars. Even though it is a Word 98 macro, it still works fine with Word 2003. Or it did, until yesterday. Yesterday we discovered a bunch of virus infections and installed Symantecs latest Norton Internet Protector 2006. It cleared a bunch of stuff. But now My Outlook Calendar won't run any more.

When you run MyOlCal (it's a word template with embedded macros) you get the typical dialog asking if you want to enable the macros. When you do enable them it sits a moment and then you get a dialog box stating " Run time error '-2177024770(8007007e)'; Automation Error, the specified module could not be found". It then offers End or Debug buttons. I don't know much about debug but when you choose that the editor seems to indicate it is looking for a module named My.Show which cannot be found. I tried reloading MyOlCal and also the VB6 runtimes. None of that helped.

Oh, the machine with this problem has both Word 2000 and Word 2003. Same thing happens with both/either.

Any idea what I can do?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: automation error, missing my.show (Win XP Word 200

Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    You should see MyOutlookCalendar in the Explorer-like treeview on the left hand side. If you expand it, you should see something like the screenshot below. Are MY under Forms and Cal under Modules present?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, both those modules are present. What debug shows when it pops up is this:

Public Sub Autonew()
    Application.StatusBar = "Initializing. Please Wait..."
    MY.Show
    End Sub
    Public Sub Restart()
    DoEvents
    MY.Show
    End Sub

Does that help any?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Activate the Visual Basic Editor again.
    Select Tools | References...
    Do you see references starting with MISSING? If so, which one(s)?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: automation error, missing my.show (Win XP Word

References is greyed out. I tried clicking all around in the Tree View to see if something would make References available but no change.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you select Tools | References... if you disable macros while opening the template?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

References are normally greyed out if the code is paused because of an error. Try killing the code execution by clicking the stop button in the code editor's toolbar and then check the references.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the time lag. Weekend break and other worldly things.

The stop button (actually, it says break) is greyed out. If I disable the macros, References is active but it asks for a Password that I do not have. I did a search for My.show but nothing shows up.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The author set a password on viewing project properties, so it is impossible to view the References dialog.

Have you tried repairing the Word installation (Help | Detect and Repair...)?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi. Hope you haven't retired and run off to Zanzibar. Still need your help with this one.

Yes, as you suggested I did the repair for Office (both 2000 and 2003). Still My Outlook Calendar fails with the Automation Error message. Based on a Google search on that error I reinstalled Windows Scripting Host and tested the MDAC version. Still no soap.

Today I threw up my hands and went looking for other printing apps. Amazingly, all the others I find are also Word macros. But I decided to try them. One is Outcal.dot and the other is OlCalndr.dot. They react the same as each other but differently from MyOlCal.

With MyOlCal, the macro blows up before the input/control form comes up. (The form is the module named MY.) With these two new macros, the form comes up and allows you to make your selections. But when you tell it to make a calendar it reports that 'Outlook must be open and a calendar selected' for them to work and then crashes out. So, apparently they cannot see that Outlook is there. I wonder if it is the same error and just a different error message for MyOlCal? And if true, what can be causing this?

On the other computer in the office, where MyOlCal still works fine, the other two programs also work just fine.

Does this Inspire any thoughts?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, no idea. It's virtually impossible to troubleshoot this kind of problem from a distance.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The End of the Story

Well, based on the impression from the two new programs that they simply could not see Outlook, I decided to take action. I had already done a repair install of Office 2003 but this time I literally uninstalled Outlook and then installed it. And that did the trick.

Bizarre but ... this is Microsoft after all.