2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

adding Data to Access automatically (Access 2000)

Hi all,

I come here with a question to find some experince with data loading a database that has been made already.
    I have two questions.

I have data in excel arranged in the following order for jobs.
    each individual Job is a row
    data feilds for each job are along columns.

there is about 2000 jobs in this excel worksheet so 2000 rows and about 40 fields so quite abit of data to enter if done manually.

so I come to my first question:
    1. Since I have all the data in excel can I populate my access table by simply pasting it under my last entry in the table? or is their a different approach of adding data from excel to an access database?

2. If at all possible for the future is there a way to make access automatically data load itself. for example
    if I have a job data file which is made in excel. and after the job i have all data filled, which usually is data loaded manually in my access database, to simply through some approach to automatically have a access macro look at a certain folder for the data file and open each excel workbook in the folder seperateraly getting the needed fields and load the access table, exit out of the workbook, cut it, move it to a data enter complete folder come back to the data enter folder to the next job?

Thanks in advances for you remarks to these 2 questions

Markus

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: adding Data to Access automatically (Access 2000)

1) You can use File | Import to import an Excel worksheet into Access, you can import into a new table or into an existing table if it has the correct structure.

Copy/paste should work too. Select the entire blank row at the bottom of the destination table before pasting.

2) Yes, it is possible to write VBA code that loops through all Excel workbooks in a folder and processes them. If you would like to be assisted with that, please provide detailed information about extra conditions etc., so that we have a clear and comprehensive idea of the requirements.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: adding Data to Access automatically (Access 2000)

Hi Hans, Thanks for your response.

I will take some time on analyzing my situation so I can best describe all conditions the first time around.

I have already found a problem with trying to update my database though because of the data loading process developed.

->Before a job is done a program is made for it. It