Lounger
    Thanks

VLOOKUP (a new question)

I have a worksheet in Excel 2000 with diagnosis codes in one column and descriptions in the adjacent column. I want the descriptions column to automatically fill when I enter a diagnosis code.
    I am entering the following function in the description column:
    =VLOOKUP(B3,'Primary Diag Descrip'!A2:B1191,2)
    where B3 is the cell in the diagnosis code column , 'Primary Diag Descrip'!A2:B1191 is the worksheet (in the same workbook) with the reference table, and 2 is the reference table column number of the description (text) I want to return.
    What I get here is "#N/A" which indicates a problem with the Lookup_Value, but I'm darned if I can see what it is.
    Thanks in advance. Woody's Loungers always help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VLOOKUP (a new question)

Assuming your lookup table is sorted (if not, add ",FALSE" to your lookup formula, then I'll bet you're looking up a number (B3), against a table of text-numbers. Try entering a 1 in a blank cell and copying it, then select the numbers in the lookup table and pasting special values + select multiply, thereby converting text #s to "real" #s. Now check the VLOOKUPs.
    POSSIBLY, if that doesn't work, it's the reverse case. Cell B3 is text & needs to be converted to a number.
    Good luck!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VLOOKUP (a new question)

Since you are not speifying the "range_lookup" parameter to the VLOOKUP function, it is defaulting to returning an approximate value (from your description that is probably not what you want it to do). In this mode, if the lookup value is less than the first value in the lookup range, then the function will return #N/A. This can easily happen if the lookup range is not sorted in order. What you may want is:

<pre>=VLOOKUP(B3,'Primary Diag Descrip'!A2:B1191,2,False)
    </pre>

Legare Coleman