New Lounger
    Thanks

Access RunTime on NT 4.0

Hello All,
    ACCESS 2K Developer, SR-1 installed.
    I have an ACCESS *.MDE file residing on a shared folder on a NT4 server. The idea is to (not MY idea) run the app from any station one can log onto the network from, as opposed to installing the front-end on any client PCs. The problem is that even tho I have used the package&deployment wizard to create a distributable app, and then installed it on the server, nobody without ACCESS 2K on the client PC can run it. It runs fine when run locally on the server. I've done this with FoxPro many times by including the runtime DLL's in the same folder, is this what I need to do here too?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    John Lawrence

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access RunTime on NT 4.0

The Access runtime needs to be installed on each PC; you can't just copy in some files, you need to use the setup wizard. Then move the frontend to a local drive on each PC.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mark. That's the way *I* suggested it be done, but the folks who are paying for it want it this way *if it can be done*. Can it?

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Not to my knowledge. The runtime actually needs library files that are local to the machine running the application. When you load the app, you are actually loading it into the local machine's memory and running it there, even though you keep hopping back to the server for everything. However, it should be possible to create an administrative setup to allow them to *install* the setup from the server onto their local machines.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It can't be done the way they want it. An Access database is not an executable program. You need Access to run it. You said you had the developer edition, so you can install the Access runtime royalty free to them. And as Charlotte pointed out, there are ways to minimize this effort by installing from the server. Otherwise, they will have to purchase a version of Access for each user.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark & Charlotte...