New Lounger
    Thanks

Combo Box Wizardry (Access 97)

Hello there! I was wondering, if you make a combo box (lets say you use it to select a product name), how do you get Access to automatically populate another field (such as a product description)? (I wish I could post a screen shot to show you what I mean) Thank you!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo Box Wizardry (Access 97)

Say that you have a table tblProducts like this:

<table border=1><td align=center>ProductID</td><td align=center>ProductName</td><td align=center>ProductDescription</td><td align=right>1</td><td>Cheddar</td><td>Mature English cheese</td><td align=right>2</td><td>Camembert</td><td>French cheese from Normandy</td><td align=right>3</td><td>Parmigiano</td><td>Italian cheese to be grated over pasta</td></table>
    This table is the row source of your combo box. Set its Column Count property to 3, and its Column Widths property to 0";1";0".
    Let's say the combo box is named cboProduct. Create a text box with the following control source:

=[cboProduct]![Column](2)

The columns are counted starting at 0, so Column(2) refers to the 3rd column, i.e. the description.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo Box Wizardry (Access 97)

Thank you Hans!

FYI, my co-worker, Ron, has told me repeatedly what a tremendous help you personally have been to him. Now I know what he was talking about! =)