Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple users on a computer (Outlook 2003 sp2)

I support the staff at a public library. The staff at the service desks log onto the computers using a generic logon. Logged in as that user I check the Mail profile to prompt for a profile. When a user first opens Outlook they create a new Profile for themselves and check to require a username and password. That all seemed hunky dory. However we have discovered that a user can select someone else's profile but use their own logon and password and still get the first users mailbox and can do anything they want with it. What is the point of different profiles and logons if a person can gain access to someone else's mailbox?

What is the solution besides making them log onto the machine as themselves or use OWA.

Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple users on a computer (Outlook 2003 sp2

Hi there

There is a work around.

You could set up seperate personal folders on the PC in question for each user. Under each users profile you can adjust the settings to their account so that mail is redirected to their own personal folder pst file. To stop another person viewing personal pst files you can set user passwords to the pst files. When a user logs on to Outlook another password option opens , they enter a password and if correct opens that file to view.

Does this sound a reasonable option?
    Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. But I don't think that would work because the staff use different computers and the .pst file would be on the wrong one hard drive.

Thanks

This is very confusing to me. Have you delegated access among the users to their various mailboxes? Without delegating access, I'm not sure how one user's login would be valid for another user's mailbox and corresponding OST. Or are they using the generic login when prompted, which necessarily gives access to everything?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

We have NOT delegated access among the users, at least not usually. In the testing I have been doing today, there is no delegation between the users. The computer is logged on with a generic logon but after the user opens Outlook and selects a profile, then they get a windows logon and they use their own logon and can open other people's mailboxes.