New Lounger
    Thanks

Outline Levels vs. Levels: Same thing? (Word 2002)

When defining a style, are the "Outline Levels" that you set in the New Style > Paragraph > Indents and Spacing dialog the same thing as the "Levels" in the New Style > Numbering > Customize Outline Numbered List dialog?

It appears that if I link a style to a "Level", the style's "Outline Level" does not change but remains the default Body Text.

To put it another way: Do "Outline Levels" control only the appearance of things in Outline View and the Document Map, and do "Levels" control only the outline numbering hierarchy (i.e., they're two separate and unrelated things), or are they somehow related?

There are some clues in the Word object model, but I'm not sure how to read them.

Tom Hawley

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outline Levels vs. Levels: Same thing? (Word 2

Excellent answer Andrew, I now understand this. Many thanks for sharing your expertise.

Tom Hawley
    New York

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Andrew

You say that : " Most templates are set so the Heading series of styles correspond to the Outline levels"

If I have a template where Outline levels do not correspond with Heading styles, how would I change it?

(This relates to the thread beginning with <post#=538,424>post 538,424</post#>)
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

John

I don't think it does actually relate to your other thread - that appears to be an anomaly where there are multiple ways to do something and one of the ways doesn't work under certain circumstances. I think that one can be more easily addressed by you adjusting the method by which you apply the outline level. I apply level changes via the keyboard (Alt-Shift-Left Arrow or Alt-Shift-Right Arrow) and find this far quicker than selecting a dropdown box with the mouse. This method doesn't appear to have the same shortcomings you have discovered.

To change the outline level associated with any style you need to edit the style and examine the Paragraph settings. In Word 2002/2003 you would do the following steps.
    1. In the Styles and Formatting Task Pane, right click the style you want to change (* see below - not one of the Heading styles) and select Modify (The Modify Style dialog appears)
    2. Click the Format dropdown button and select Paragraph
    3. Select the Outline level you require

Hold the Press - When documenting the steps I discovered that I can't change the outline level for any of the Heading Styles - the option is disabled and the level corresponds to the heading number.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Andrew Lockton on 04-Dec-05 15:25. Edited to correct point 1 following a later discovery.)</P>Outline levels are independent of the Outline Numbered Lists - however by default:
    1. All templates are set so the Heading series of styles correspond to the Outline levels - it appears you can't remove the outline level from the corresponding Heading level
    2. Many templates also align the Heading series of styles to use one of the Outline Numbered lists gallery item.

More than one style can be assigned to an outline level without any ill effects. For example you might set outline level 1 to be used by Heading 1 and a new style called NoNumHead 1. Both will appear in the outline view and TOC at the same level despite having different appearances.

However if you do set more than one style to share an outline numbered list item + level then you are going to encounter difficulties when you try to reset the list gallery item. It can be done but is problematic.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes I also noticed that the level associated with a heading style is locked. This reinforced my recollection of some higher level setting that I can't find any more.

Where I have this problem of outlining I never use the dropdown list of levels, so that is not the explanation. It only happens for me in a teaching context, and the students are using the promote/demote buttons on the outlining toolbar.

I wondered if the reason for the problem in this context was that someone else had made some change to normal template. That was why I connected it to this thread.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

With more experimentation. I find that the Outline Level of a Heading Style is locked if the cursor is any heading style paragraph, but not if the cursor is in a normal style paragraph.

But if change the level associated with a Heading Style, word immediately changes it back again.
    Regards
    John