Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Computer takes ages to appear in Workgroup

I have a wireless router into which one (XP Pro) PC is permanently and ethernetly wired, and a second (XP Home) PC which is connected to the router via a somewhat flaky wireless connection. I have specified fixed IP addresses, default gateways and DNS servers on both boxes, on the wireless-connected PC mainly because this made the recovery from a disconnection much faster than relying on DHCP.

When I wake up the wireless connection on the second PC, there seems to be a wait of a few minutes before the first PC appears in the workgroup when viewed from the second PC. Usually the first PC is PINGable from the second PC by IP address, but not by name, until everything sorts itself out a few minutes later.

I suspect this is due to the second-worst piece of Microsoft network code after WINS, namely the browser. There are the usual event log messages about both PCs arguing about which is the master browser, as is typical.

So my question is: is there any way to make sure that the second PC is aware of the first PC (and I suppose vice versa) at all times (possibly bypassing the browser function), other than by specifying their names and IP addresses in the HOSTS files?

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Computer takes ages to appear in Workgroup

To stop the browser elections you can set
    <code>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetSer vicesBrowserParametersMaintainServerList</code>
    to a value of NO on the XP Home PC. Have a look at this article for information about these parameters.

This setting may also help with the browsing speed, let us know if it does.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Stuart! Looks as if I should also set IsDomainMaster to Yes on the XP Pro box?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think that would be appropriate.

StuartR

Edited by StuartR to add
    I have never played with this one, but you may also want to adjust the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesl anmanserverparametersAnnounce.