Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Synchronising FF bookmarks on two PCs (Firefox 1.5

Just a whimsical question, really, but is there an easy way of making the bookmarks on two (networked) PCs to be the same other than copying the most recently changed bookmarks.html from one PC to the other?

Another version of the question is whether there is a way to merge two slightly-different bookmarks.html files to end up with a file which has the most recent changes...

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Synchronising FF bookmarks on two PCs (Firefox

Someone probably has written an application for this, perhaps even as far back as Netscape 4. The bookmark.htm file contains all sorts of date information which might be used to reconcile conflicts, but I haven't taken the time to figure quite what all of those dates mean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm thinking out loud here - if both (or more) computers are always on (or at least the "main" pc), both (or more) installations could point at the same profile folder for firefox, and thunderbird for that matter.

If you edit the Cocuments and SettingsUSERNAMEApplication DataMozillaFirefoxprofiles.ini (assuming Windows OS), in the Profile0 stanza, modify the Path= statement to reflect the location of the desired profile information.

Of course, this assumes that the desired location is already up to date, and not missing any information from another profile's bookmark file.
    Christopher Baldrey

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Bookmarks Synchronizer is a Firefox extension extension that allows you to use an FTP server to synchronize bookmarks. The best description I have seen of the extension is at Pain in the Tech. The article also describes how to set up free web hosting with FTP access for those who do not have access to an FTP server.

Bookmarks Synchronizer for Firefox 1.0.x or patched version that also works with Firefox 1.5

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Chris

Thanks for the idea, but surely I can't change
    Path=Profiles/p3uwm47e.default
    to
    Path=C:mydirectory
    without dragging along all the other stuff as well as bookmarks.html?

All I would want to do would be to put the single file bookmarks.html into a directory which is shared on both PCs, and so both copies can be kept in sync using Synctoy...

Otherwise I will just set up a BAT file with ROBOCOPY or SyncToy to synchronise bookmarks.html from each Firefox Profile directory to a shared directory on each PC, and use SyncToy to synchronise the two identically-named shared directories between PCs. (If you follow what I mean!)

PC1 Firefox Profile <--> shared directory <==> shared directory <--> Firefox Profile PC2

Tony, I like the idea of the Firefox extension, but using an FTP account somewhere sounds rather too complex!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The following method can be used to move the bookmarks file to a different directory. You can also use it to allow multiple profiles to use the same bookmarks file.
    If the path to the bookmarks file is:

<code>C:Firefoxbookmarks.html</code>

Go into every profile that you want to share the bookmarks and add the following two lines to user.js (you may have to create the file)

<code>// relocate Bookmarks.html file:
    user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "C:Firefoxbookmarks.html");</code>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm... sorry about that John, I was assuming you'd want to take profile settings along for the ride.

I like what Tony has suggested ... I might give that a shot myself (one day).
    Christopher Baldrey

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Tony - that looks like fun, and no, I didn't have a user.js file!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This may be an old question but there is a new extension from Google that can synchronize bookmarks.

Google Browser Sync is an extension that continuously synchronizes your browser settings including bookmarks across your computers. You can configure what is synchronized and can encrypt the data that is sent to the Google servers. You need a Google account to use the extension, but if you do not have one you get the option to set one up when the extension is first run.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Tony, but what I actually do now is to use Synctoy to synchonise a number of folders on the two PCs, including the one where the Bookmark Backup Firefox extension stores the daily copies of the profile files. Since I update bookmarks only on the ground floor (downstairs) PC, then it's simply a matter of using a BATch file on the first floor (upstairs) PC to replace the then-current Bookmarks file on the upstairs PC with the synchronised backup file (if you see what I mean!) on an occasional basis.

John

PS I;m getting a little wary of Google trying to hold all your data (mail, spreadsheets...) on its servers.

Ita, esto, quidcumque...