4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Choosing from 3 possibilities (Excel 2003)

I am making a chart that employees will fill out. They will be asked 3 questions: (1) do they work 50%, or, (2) do they work 60%, or, (3) do they work in the office. When they type an 'x' into one of the 'answer' boxes (for example, 2...indicating that they work 60%) the phrase "60% employee" will appear.
    I need a formula that will look to see if the display shows "50% employee"or "60% employee" or "I work in the office"....(only 1 pharse will show).

The formula should then 'copy' that phrase into another page of the spreadsheet....anyone have any ideas of how to make a formula that can do this ?...thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Choosing from 3 possibilities (Excel 2003)

What are the "answer boxes"? If they are cells in the worksheets, you probably have a situation like this:

<table border=1><td></td><td align=center>A</td><td align=center>B</td><tr><td align=center>1</td><td>Do you work 50%</td><td align=right>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans......thank you for that advice...I tried to use it and it wouldn't work.....all cells are on the same worksheet; the cells where the "x" goes are not contiguous---they are 3 sets of 'merged cells' (eg: ag7+8 which is now cell ag7, ag9+10 which is now cell ag9, y14+15 which is now cell y14).....can I use merged cells? must they be contiguous?

Also, the "50% emp", "60% emp" and "work in office" are contigous to each other [they are cells AM6, AM8, AM10] but not contiguous to where the "x" is placed.....can these be merged (am5+6, am7+8, am9+10) to produce AM6, AM8, & AM10 ?....and must they be contiguous to where the "x" is marked ?......thanks for your very useful help.....if it makes any difference, I can re-locate the cells etc but I would really like to keep them merged (to provide bigger cells to mark the "x' into).....thanks...I await your reply....djm...ps: how did you produce the little chart in your answer ?....that might permit me to show you what I am working with ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I used the macro from <post:=164,109>post 164,109</post:> to create the table in the post. This macro won't handle merged cells, though.

Could you attach a small sample workbook to a post?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans.....I am attaching a small sample.......if you delete the "x", you will see info disappear; it is conditionally formatted to appear and will be hidden in the final product. I want employees to indicate if they are 40%, 50%, 60% or office employees (using an "x') and then have the selection drop into the cell below (which actually is elsewhere, but I put it here for your purposes). Thanks for your help; I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

..ps Hans...and by now it should actually be called "Choosing from 4 possibilities"...40, 50, 60, office.....[img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would never use merged cells for this, you can vary the row heights to suit your purposes.
    Is it OK to enter more than one "x"?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans....thank you for that--I will get rid of the merged cells.....as far as using more than 1 x, I did that only to show you the "hidden" text that comes to light once an "x" is entered...I hadn't thought that poeple would need to use more then 1 "x" but if they do, is there a way to do that and have multiple choices (eg: 60% employee and working in the office) shown ??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What would you like? Multiple lines in the result cell, one for each "x"?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, if it could all be contained within 1 cell, that ywould be great, but if I must, I suppose that I may have to create corresponding "result" cells (one for each "x") but not sure.......

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Something like this?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

...yes...just like that...looks great.....thank you so mcuh for your help......

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Seems like you should just use data validation. You don't want someone to check both 50 & 60%. See attached sheet for an example. HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

...thank you fo that suggestion also, Sam.......I will look at it b/cit eliminates (accidental) double-checking and it may spruce up the appearance of the selection box....