New Lounger
    Thanks

Importing phone numbers with plus signs (2003)

I'm trying to import a contacts list in Outlook 2003. I'm using a plain text file "Comma Separated Values (Windows)". Everything is imported as it should be, but the phone numbers are imported without the preceding plus sign. This is very frustrating, as I'm using this to synchronise my contacts to my cell phone in which the international phone numbers (e.g. "+31-20-3552999") are essential.

The import used to work perfectly in Outlook 2000. I tried a number of things, like importing a double plus sign, but in that case indeed two plus signs are imported. What can I do to work around this problem?

Thanks for any help!

Derk Ederveen

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing phone numbers with plus signs (2003)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 05-Dec-05 16:19. File attachment corrected.)</P>Welcome to the Lounge, Derk.

Unfortunately in a quick test in Outlook 2003, I can't duplicate the problem. Have you checked the field layout mapping to be sure that it matches the 2003 CSV layout? I have attached a censored example which works for me in Outlook 2003 - it is renamed as a '.txt' file, as the Lounge does not permit uploads of *.CSV files, which are in any case structured text files.

Also, is there any chance that you are using Excel to manipulate the CSV - the leading '+' sign may be a problem in Excel.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

thanks for your quick reply!

> Unfortunately in a quick test in Outlook 2003, I can't duplicate the problem.
    > Have you checked the field layout mapping to be sure that it matches the 2003 CSV layout?

Yes, the mapping is OK, I use the Outlook field names so they are automatically mapped to the correct fields. The phone numbers do get imported in the correct fields, it's just that the plus sign gets cut off.

> I have attached a censored example which works for me in Outlook 2003 - it is renamed as a '.txt' file,
    > as the Lounge does not permit uploads of *.CSV files, which are in any case structured text files.
    > Also, is there any chance that you are using Excel to manipulate the CSV - the leading '+' sign may be a problem in Excel.

Sorry, I couldn't find your attachment. I use Excel to store the master data, I extract it using Word mail merge, and then output to a tab separated text file in the correct Outlook format. I have attached part of it, hope it gets through. The strange thing is that international phone numbers (i.e. not starting with +31) are imported including the plus sign, but with brackets replacing the dashes. It seems that Outlook is applying formatting while doing the import, but I can't figure out where the settings are to prevent this. Maybe it's just the Outlook country phone number which I should change, but where do I set that?

Thanks for any insight.

Derk Ederveen

PS: I just tried to import it again, after I clicked a phone number I had to enter a country code (31), so I figured that might do the trick, and it did! Although still brackets are inserted where I don't want them. Is there a solution to that problem?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John's attachment can be found between the date of the post and his user picture - see screenshot below. Left-click it to open it, or right-click it and select "Save Target As" from the popup menu to save it to your hard disk.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Excel may be assuming that the leading + sign indicates an number and is applying some kind of formatting. I'm not sure what your country settings are at either the OS level or the Application level, but my first suggestion is simple - in Excel, using Find-and-Replace, insert a single quote mark ' in front of the plus sign. Post back if this suggestion doesn't work. BTW, at a glance your CSV looks fine.

(Hint - you can choose to be as anonymous as you wish in the Lounge, but it's often helpful to other Loungers if you include your Country in your user profile <!profile=derk>derk<!/profile>, as non-USA countries often have special issues with Microsoft's tendency to write USA-centric software.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

thanks for your help. If I get the problem again, I'll try the single quote, thanks for the suggestion! And I'll try to add my country to my profile.

Best wishes,

Derk Ederveen