3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

References (2k / 2003 )

I have a front end / back database set up on the company intranet on site.
    the back end sits on the server, the front end sits on each pc, with a shortcut on each persons desktop, tying them in to the workgroup witch sits on the site shared drive.

Windows XP has started to be installed (and Access 2003), so when installing new versions of the front end, i have a batch file for installation that determines, which operating system you have, and copies one of two shortcuts onto the users desktop.

so the pointer to windows xp, is /office11/ and for 2k, its .../office10/

this all works fine up to this point.

now. i've added some extra functionaility into the database that plays with some word files from within access, and requires me, in xp, to add a reference. 'Microsoft Word 11.0 Object Library'

Now, with the same front end copied to a windows 2000 machine, I have a missing library, and all sorts of errors are coming up.

Do i need to create two versions of the front end and copy to each user as needed, or is there a way to keep 1 version of the db, and stop the errors. ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: References (2k / 2003 )

If you create the database in Access 2002, with the Word 10.0 library, it should work OK in Access 2003 - references are usually resolved automatically when you move to a newer version. The reverse is not true, hence your problems with the Word 11.0 Library in Access 2002.

Alternatively, you could use late binding and do without the reference:
    - replace all declarations of the type Dim w As Word.Application with Dim w As Object.
    - use CreateObject to create the Word.Application object instead of the New keyword.
    - replace all Word VBA constants such as wdSaveChanges with their numeric value - you can look up these values in the Object Browser.
    - finally, remove the reference.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: References (2k / 2003 )

Thanks Hans, will try the easier option first i think, and create it with version 10 of the library....!