Star Lounger
    Thanks

Too many Outlooks running. (Windows 2000 Pro )

Periodically, I used to have problems with Outlook 2000 "disapearing." It came on particularly if I'd left my computer running for a few days with Outlook running but minimized. It disapeared from the screen and the task bar and when I tried to restart it, either from a shortcut or from the Start menu, nothing seemed to happen. If I started Task Manager with the CTR-ALT-DEL combination, I got the display that Outlook was running but if I went to Processes, I'd find as many as ten instances of OUTLOOK.EXE (always in capital letters) running. If I exited each one, when I got to the last one, Outlook appeared on my screen as though nothing had happened.

I thought I was through all that when I switched to Windows XP two weeks ago but now my wife is having the same problem on her computer--not my old one--running Windows 2000 Pro. I'm not sure if she has any service packs running or not. If it's important to any of your answers, I can check.

What's the problem?

Bruce

Thanks

Re: Too many Outlooks running. (Windows 2000 Pro )

Do the two of you run any other software that might want to use your mailer (to send messages) or your contacts (e.g., to sync with a portable device)? If there are no "real" applications that do this, can you rule out malware (viruses, spyware, etc.)?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Too many Outlooks running. (Windows 2000 Pro )

I have Palm Sync running on mine but not on my wife's computer. I usually run a utility to check for mal-ware. When I was using Windows 2000 Pro, I had a hardware firewall in a wireless router and Kerio firewall running on my computer as well as Norton Anti-virus. My wife doesn't have the software firewall but is connected to the wireless router. She uses AVG for her virus detector and keeps it up to date.

My wife gets very little spam and rarely surfs the Internet with Internet Explorer.

Bruce