3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Naming Conventions for Versions (Word 2003)

I have people using a lot of different systems for naming documents and for naming documents for keeping track of versions. None of them seem 'perfect'. What are people using for naming conventions for tracking versions that seems to work consistently?

And no - I do not want to use Word's 'versions' because the documents are very regularly emailed and we don't want the versions sent with them.

Thanks

Re: File Naming Conventions for Versions (Word 200

Before we got our document management system, I had people name files with the date first, e.g., 2005-12-06 Agreement with so and so.doc. Then they sorted correctly within the folder. You can add version 2, version 3, etc. Basically, we used the file name. However, if you wouldn't want the date or version number disclosed, then this is not a very effective system. Particularly in Word 2000, which stored a hidden history of the save paths in the metadata.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What did you put in for a DMS? Has it worked well and how well did people react to it?

Thanks

We got WORLDOX. Those who had used DOCS Open or iManage were happy to have a DMS, even if it was a bit different. Those who were used to the complete freedom to lose files all over the place were less enthusiastic.

Of course, as with any initiative, planning is really critical. Particularly things like "document type description" for which some people thought "less is more" (simpler up front) but now regret (can't drill down to what I want).