Lounger
    Thanks

Header Footer Problem (Word 2003)

When I open a document, the header/footer is not visible. I am in page layout, but I have to click the header/footer box to get it to display. I want the header/footer to be visible when I open the document. It used to do this, but I did something today to change it. I don't know what. I have tried fiddlling with NORMAL.DOT, but I can't fix the problem. Now, when I open NORMAL.DOT as a DOT file, the header/footer is right. But when I open any document (including blank and other defined documents), there is no H/F. Saving NORMAL.DOT with H/F visible gets me NORMAL.DOT to open right, but not other documents. I saw an earlier thread on this subject, but the advice didn't help. Anybody got an idea for me? Thanks.

Bob

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Header Footer Problem (Word 2003)

I feel really bad posting a problem and then finding the answer. My diagnosis was not right. It wasn't a problem with NORMAL.DOT. I actually found a recent NORMAL.DOT and loaded in in place of the current one, and the problem remained. I then somehow found the SHOW WHITE SPACE command (on the View Menu, under Options) and clicked that. The problem disappeared under all versions of NORMAL.DOT. I just can't figure out what changed my long-standing alternative preference. Anyway, sorry to be a bother, but maybe my answer will help someone.

Bob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Header Footer Problem (Word 2003)

You're not the first person to get caught by this, and I suspect you won't be the last. Thank you for posting the solution - it will probably help somebody else one day.

It is very easy to toggle Show White Space by accident, with a mouse click at the top or bottom edge of any page.

StuartR