Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Project Protection (VBA/Word/All)

I have a number of Word VBA projects embedded in Word 2000 templates. These VBA projects had the Tools > Project Properties; Protection: "Lock project for viewing box checked and a password set.

I found that the project code was unviewable in Word 97 VBE, and presumed that this was due to a lack of backward compatibility. I now find that the code is also unviewable in Word 2003 VBE. By "unviewable", I mean that I am not given the opportunity to provide the password.

Am I correct in assuming that projects protected in one version of VBE is permanently locked to all other versions?

TIA
    Regards
    Don

Thanks

Re: Project Protection (VBA/Word/All)

First, make sure it isn't because the template was loaded only from the startup folder. Right-click in Windows Explorer and use Open (not New) to open the template directly and try again. If you still can't access, you might have to perform some code recovery using a product that ignores those passwords, such as OpenOffice.org. That doesn't work for forms, but it works for regular code modules.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I do not have Open Office, but the VBA password is tied to the project, not the individual components.

So any technique that overcomes the password would enable viewing of all components of the project.

Thanks

OpenOffice.org doesn't seem to understand/convert VBA form modules. For an example of the recovery possible from code modules, see <post#=525198>post 525198</post#> and the accompanying thread.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect that's a licensing issue, as one would need the MSForms object library to vet the critter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jefferson
    Although I was certain that I was not working with the template in the Startup folder; I must have been wrong (How could that happen?). There was absolutely no problem using your approach.
    <hr>Right-click in Windows Explorer and use Open (not New) to open the template directly<hr>
    Thanks for the insight.
    Regards
    Don