Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to connect to secure sites (IE 6 on Xp)

For about a week the bride's home machine has been unable to connect to any secured site; unsecured sites are no problem. This appears to have started after Apple iTunes software was installed, though it may be coincidental; iTunes does use RSS, but Google didn't immediately find any "iTunes hammers IE" information. I have found some related threads in this Forum on 403.7 errors, though the message appears to a straight 404. Following the advice in those few threads, I'm having the bride follow the steps at:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm

and install FireFox.

But if there are threads I may have overlooked or any other ideas on an IE fix, please advise.

(I'm traveling on business, pressed for time, and diagnosing remotely, so I can't be more specific at this time.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Re: Unable to connect to secure sites (IE 6 on Xp)

Could it be something in the firewall? If your firewall does "component control," perhaps there was a prompt for a change to IE related to a QuickTime update, with the result that now IE is blocked from using port 443. (Okay, that's a stretch...)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Could be, Jefferson, thanks for the pointer. She uses Norton Firewall, but I have no idea what to do with it to release secure sites. I'll see if any Norton Automatic Updates are known to have caused this type of problem.
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 08-Dec-05 22:09. )</P>Yep, you might have a winner, especially considering the "last modified" date stamp on the support document.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.n...001092809135036

Edit: the steps in the above Symantec FAQ fixed the problem with IE. But the bride rather likes FireFox and continues to use it..
    UTC -7ąDS