Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Firewall

race1

Re: Free Firewall

Thanks, Phil - I appreciate you taking the time to give your input.

ileacy

ZA Pitfalls

ZA is great, but:

Troubleshooting ZoneAlarm pitfalls

Follow ZDNet Help & How-To's tips to resolve issues
    between your Internet-based apps and ZoneAlarm's
    firewall protection.

http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?65965:10288810

Flatspin

Re: Free Firewall

Hello again all,

Rather than argue the merits of various firewalls, let me offer a few words of advice as one of the moderators. First of all, we can NOT consider Black Ice Defender here, this is Freebie Software Finds. Unless something big has changed recently, BID is NOT free so is ineligible to compete. That aside, a firewall is only of benefit if it is #1 used, #2 is easy to use (encourages #1) and finally, does its job.

How do you know if it's doing what it's supposed to do? I offer the latest firewall test from Steve Gibsons website, Leak Test.

Take the test, did you pass? If you did, terrific! Do you like, use and trust your FREE firewall software? If so, your set, go forth and prosper. If you failed, why not try Tiny or ZA or another FREE firewall and see if you fare better. That is the whole point here, something that works and is free. [img]/w3timages/icons/kiss.gif[/img]

Flatspin

Re: ZA Pitfalls

The article is true, but if you've used ZA for any length of time, you've probably already figured this stuff out, I had!

ileacy

Yep. But I thought the reference might help new users.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Zone Alarm

Is Zone Alarm useful for pc's with merely a 56k modem? Seems like much of the discussion (here and elsewhere) is around cable and DSL.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Zone Alarm

I agree, if for no other reason than paranoia [img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img] Since taking the advice here and installing ZoneAlarm, I've been amazed to see how many critters are trying to sneak out of my computer. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ileacy

Re: Zone Alarm

Yes. A firewall is mandatory for always on connections. It is still recommended for dial up.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ive just downloaded and installed ZA this afternoon, and already it's quite an eye-opener, in terms of the number and types of attempted accesses.

I have a cable-modem connection - is there something apart from the recommended starter default security/access settings I should be using to ensure my cable connection isn't being unduly thwarted?

Many of the alerts I had today were connection attempted by what seems to be my cable service provider, and I'm not sure what the consequences might be of denying that access.

ileacy

The cable network probes to you are checking for unsecured sites that could be used for malicious purposes. Now that you have ZA on you are not a risk. There should be no impact on your cable modem by blocking their probes.

As far as changed settings. I made two changes to the
    defaults, both on the Alerts page.
    a)Check: Log alerts to a text file
    b)Uncheck: Show the alert popup window.

I review the log file periodically filtering out the cable network security alerts.

Unless I see something other than a standard port scan/ping from a remote site, I do not bother reporting it. Just too many, and as far as I can see, nothing happens as a result of reporting it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thansk for the advice.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It's quite educational to observe the number of attempted accesses over a period of time - I was a bit naive before this point about the security of my system, I guess.

My Internet Lock time is set to activate after 15 minutes of inactivity per default recommendations - do you suggest anything different? It appears that Outlook Express and Internet Explorer's connections are also stopped at that point, even though they are designated as Pass Lock programs.

Any further advice, O ZA Guru?[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

ileacy

I usually have Lock disabled. I do enable it when I am running maintenance tasks such as Defrag.

PS: The support staff for ZA seem to be knowledgable and responsive. I had answers back within 48 hours for questions I posted.

Not a guru, just a user.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

KTYorke

This is a great thread, but I'm going to have to lock this one up for the benefit of our low bandwidth loungers.

If you want to keep posting on this subject, please make a new post with "Free Firewall 2" in the subject line and a reference back to this thread somewhere in the body of your message.

Thank you!!
    have fun

ileacy

Wilco. Will open up a Rec: Zone Alarm thread and point back here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12