Thread: Linked graphics

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Linked graphics

Hi,

Word 97 SR-1

I
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Linked graphics

In the 25% of cases the link has been updated. When linked graphics are used and then resized or cropped then anytime the links are refreshed the graphic returns to the way it was when it was first inserted. Thats just the way it is and its the primary reason I don't use linked graphics.

Your 25% might be the people who have either refreshed the link manually or have it set in the options to update links when opening the file.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

Thanks for that.

A question, if I may.

You refer to refreshing links. How does that occur?

When this happens, it happens consistently on one client's PC, and it never happens on others. A person on one machine who has never opened this document before does not get a problem. They have done nothing consciously to avoid it. Another person on another machine gets the problem. That's what makes me wonder if it is something individual, like the printer.

I'd love to say, "Let's embed, rather than link". But, if there really is a solution that enables the client to link, and not worry about the resize, that would be great.

I'm only at that site once a week. I haven't used frames very much. Has anybody had experience with frames in the same situation?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello
    I've never had this problem (I always embed) so I might be on the wrong track, but, it does sound like the links are being updated. This can happen when the file is opened, and when the file is printed or print previewed. Obviously, different PCs can have different settings so that only some will have the problem. To check (this is for Word 97 but others will be similar) go to Tools/Options/General - there is a check box for 'update automatic links at open'. Also go to Tools/Options/Print - there is a check box for updating links. Try clearing both boxes so that the links are not updated, you should get the correct size graphic. Note though, that not updating links (or fields) can lead to a document having out of date info in it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

BAM,

I thoght that SR1 was universal at this site, but I'll certainly check it out . Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks kenstel, I'll check it out. I'm not there for a few days, I will get back.

BAM

Hi Geoff,

I would say that the PC that this is happening on doesn't have the SR1 patch installed. It's possible that they reinstalled Office and didn't reinstall the patch:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q162/5/79.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q162/5/79.ASP</A>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm a little rusty on Word97, but are all of your images in Frames? That might force them to stay the same size and location when updated. Word2000 handles images a bit differently and, in my opinion, better.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,

They're not in frames. I've always used tables, as I've had problems with frames before in different circumstances. But I think that this circumstance warrants at least trying the frames.

I'll get back after I've been to the client site tomorrow.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

BAM,

BINGO!

Thanks for that.Yes, SR2 (rather than SR1) is supposed to be installed on all workstations- but, being a small site, it's a manual process which does not always get carried out.

Thank you for your help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,

This did work, and I would have used it as a backup method. But, as it was, they did not have SR-2 installed on some machines, and were quite happy to update, I did not need the backup solution.

Thanks for your help.