David Hare-Scott

Altering default folder

In a number of situations (eg saving an attachment from an email) windows opens the file requester in My documents. How can I get it to default to another folder of my choice?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Altering default folder

From what I know, you cannot change the save as location.

You can change the folder that Outlook uses when creating an attachment to an outgoing e-mail. You don't say which version, but here is the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q253/1/35.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=q253135&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_ SRCH&SPR=OUT98>KB article for Outlook 98</A>.

You may wish to post this on the Outlook Board to see if there are any other suggestions.
    egghead

David Hare-Scott

Thanks for your ideas. I was hoping that there might be a single place where the default folder was configured (in the Registry) that would allow me to alter it for all MS apps in one go.

I think it a bit risky to globally change each value of "My documents" to "MySpecifiedDefault" just see what happens.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook allows you to choose the folder of choice for attachments by changing a setting in the registry. I found it easier to simply place all my things in the My Documents folder, giving me a single point of backup and restore for documents, software and drivers, etc.

My Documents can point to any folder on the system but as you noted, it's a global change.

You may also have some luck with X-Setup, which has options for changing some default folders - that is, those with registry entries. Among them are the default pictures, media nad Internet Explorer folders.
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It is possible to change the default, but it requires editing the Registry. You should not do this unless you understand the registry and have a backup.

Search the Registry for "C:My Documents" and look at each hit. Change the ones that set the default for different programs.
    Legare Coleman