New Lounger
    Thanks

Easiest Template Docs Word 2000

Hi Everyone,

Here I go again. Have realised that my make do methods are letting me down. I have been storing letterheads & the like for use as templates but without any write protection - by "save as ".

What is considered the best method(s) to make store & protect documents which are intended to be pulled out & used as in the letterhead example.

OS Win 98SE, Word 2000

I will be doing this sort of thing probably less than fortnightly so simple/intuitive/easy to remember is key to best method for me.
    Have similar low power users recommendations to pass on?
    TIA
    Pete

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Easiest Template Docs Word 2000

Okay, here is the easy method: Create or Open the document you want to use as a template. Choose File, Save As, then go to the list box for "save as type" and choose template. Allow Word to save the template to the default directory.

Now, to use the template you have created, go to File, New, and double click the picture corresponding to the file you have created. It will open as a document and will not allow you to write over the template unless you go to Save As and choose Template as file type. When you are ready to Save, you will be prompted for a new file name.

It gets more complicated if you would like. Search the Help Index for "template" and read all the entries.

Soon you'll be ready to fill your templates up with autotext and VBA code specific to the job(s) at hand. Happy reading.

V.

Thanks

Re: Easiest Template Docs Word 2000

See: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm> Template Basics</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), document templates, global templates and Normal.dot. This also includes how the files are organized under File New and the location of template folders which varies not only by version of Word but also by operating system. Also see
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm>How to Create a Template]</A>, an excellent tutorial on the way to create a template that will not corrupt easily and that has a numbering structure tied to styles. If you download the Word version, it comes with a template built to these specifications for a manual or book.

You want to download the letterhead system from
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm#LetterheadSystem>my download page</A> (addbalance.com/word/download/).

This may not be the best way to set up letterhead, but it is a way that works for me. It consists of modular components so that changes to a letterhead are reflected in all form documents created from then on while documents that were created earlier remain unchanged.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin