Star Lounger
    Thanks

Programs don't load on top of other apps (XP SP2)

Hi, hope someone might be able to help. For some reason when I load a new application or double click an icon in Quick launch or taskbar the program stays hidden beneath whatever I am currently using. For example, I'm working in Word, and Mailwasher flashes to say I have new mail. Normally I would click on the mailwasher icon in taskbar and it would load and be the uppermost or top window. Now when I click on it, it loads but stays in the background. I then have to use mouse to right click on icon and maximise or restore to bring this to the front window.

I have quite a few apps running most of the time, so it's getting tiresome to have to do this.

Is there a setting I've somehow activated and how can I get back to the way it usually works, i.e. clicking on icon brings that program up to the current window?

Thanks so much in advance if you are able to help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Programs don't load on top of other apps (XP S

Application focus can be application specific as a result of coding but perhaps TweakUI can help...? There is an option to "prevent applications from stealing focus" under General/Focus.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since you used MailWasher as an example and I happen to run it also, I have a couple of questions in case Mark's suggestion doesn't fix it. Do you have autohide turned on for the taskbar? When you run MailWasher and look at the taskbar, does it show as one of the running applications? If so, does it flash on and off when it's running behind some other application? And finally, if MailWasher IS showing on the taskbar (as my attachment) does it not come to the top if you simply left-click on the taskbar button?

The reason for all the questions is that I've seen your problem once in a great while, but never repeatedly. And on the few times it's happened to me, the non-focus app button on the taskbar has been blinking at me. I think I remember minimizing everything with the WinKey-D keyboard combo and then selecting the program I want on the taskbar button. That seemed to stop the misbehaviour but it's been so seldom I can't recall more than this.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Programs don't load on top of other apps (XP SP2)

Hi Mark and Big Al!

Thanks so much for your replies.

I was unable to take time earlier today to check out your suggestion Mark and when I got back to it Big Al had also posted his comments. I checked out my taskbar and lo and behold a couple of apps were flashing. I double clicked the app, then miniimised it until the flashing ceased. I continued until none were flashing. This seems to have fixed the problem. Not sure why it cropped up all of a sudden as I have not seen this happen before, but happy it seems to work normally now.

Appreciate your help greatly.

Thanks to you both.

Cheers!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think this is of any significance, but just to clear it up - you don't have to double-click an app button on the taskbar or an icon on the quicklaunch bar. Single (left) click should be sufficient to bring it into "focus." Still, keep us informed if this continues to happen and if it does, try my WinKey-D to minimize EVERYTHING. Then you should be able to click an individual button to open it. If it's repeated behaviour in your case, we need to start a web search to see if we can find more info about this problem. BTW, I would still follow through on Mark's suggestion about TweakUI. You can always "un-check" the selection later if need be. Get it here if you don't already have it: Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP