Thread: Default Font?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Default Font?

Using IE 5.50.4522.1800IC (with SP1 & Q286043 update versions), how does the program determine what font to use when printing web forms? I had a print-out problem where the screen font displayed was the correct font, but when printed it used a very large font and not all details would be printed for each field. I removed the font from my Fonts folder (not one I generally used), but now the printed forms are using another odd font. I do not believe that this is a printer-related problem, though anything is possible. Can the font be specified somehow (registry hack or otherwise)?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Default Font?

As far as I know, this is a printer driver issue - I had a similar problem for a client and that's how it was resolved.

I don't think you can specify a different font for printing other than possibly in the pronter config, in which case it would be global.

Try updating the printer drivers, and/or reinstalling the printer. Good luck!
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Default Font?

I was tinkering with one of my Excel files today and had a not-so-minor discovery. The Excel file contains many rows, each carrying the value from the previous -- but in a different font. I did this to be able to generate a list of sample texts for marketing and such. It is a real hog on system resources, but with minimal fuss it provided a printout of "Sample Text" in a couple hundred different fonts. Today when I was looking at the workbook, I noticed the wacky font that IE had been using to print out forms and graphic-box titles was appearing throughout the workbook. A little extra investigation showed that the fonts in question had been removed from my system but not the workbook, so Excel was pulling some substitute font to use instead. I removed the font that was currently being used as the substitute, and voila! Every "missing" font was now using an arial-type font instead of the bold-condensed font. Printing something from Outlook that had previously been littered with the unwanted font now were being printed using the more normal default font.

Now my question (which might need to be taken to the Win98 forum?) is how can the substitute font be specified instead of having it chosen by Windows?