Lounger
    Thanks

Installer error 1606, Outlook Mail Merge

Hi folks,

Sorry about the multiple topics, but I think they're related. Running Office 2003 SBE SP2 on a one-year-old Thinkpad X40 under Windows XP Pro SP2, Norton AV, Zone Alarm Pro, Counterspy, etc.
    1. Whenever I open an Office module (e.g. Word) I get the message:
    "Microsoft Office Word can't display the template used in this document. Microsoft Office Word cannot install the necessary files due to Windows installer error 1606. Feature ID not registered."
    It displays this 4 times (consistently), but then loads Word, brings up a new blank document using the Normal.dot template it said it couldn't display, and seems to work fine. If I start Outlook, I get virtually the same message ("...Outlook can't display the add-in / Installer error 1606...") a consistent eleven times, and then Outlook opens and runs normally. Excel and PowerPoint open without any such error message, but if in a PowerPoint presentation I try to change the overall template by clicking Format | Slide Design I get the same "can't display the template / Installer error 1606" message a consistent 66 times (I can be very persistent when I'm desperate) and then it goes ahead and displays the various template choices.
    2. Outlook mailmerge failure: I highlight the Contacts I want in Outlook, press Ctrl-C just in case, click MailMerge, select Envelopes and go. It tells me it's exporting the Contacts, opens Word and presents the usual MailMerge three-step dialog box. I Edit the document to set the envelope size, click Get Data - and it asks me to select a data source, i.e. it doesn't see the transferred Contacts. If I select Address Book | Outlook Address Book as the data source, I get the error message:
    "A required file, "SCHDMAPI.DLL", could not be loaded. Please check your e-mail installation and re-install Microsoft Word if necessary."
    Thinking this might be related to the 1606 problem above, I've been re-installing, with no effect.
    3. With all the re-installing of Office I've been doing over the last two days to try to fix the above my disk drive just ran out of space! How do I locate and delete unnecessary files from my 40GB C: drive? IBM takes up 7GB for its own purposes; I currently have 32.9GB used, 273MB (yes, MB) free. I don't know for sure how much free space I had when I started this exercise a couple of days ago, but it seemed to be at least 25% when I ran defrag a month ago, and each successive Office re-install over the last couple of days has reported rapidly-lessening amounts of available space. The last one told me I was running out of space and suggested running Disk Clean-up; I did, and this is still all the space I have. Just ran it again, and it only freed up 17MB.
    Here's what I've done so far, based on discussions with IBM support (it's an OEM copy of Office) and searches through the Microsoft KB, Woody's Lounge archives and the Internet in general:
    - ran Help | Detect and Repair from within Word. Ran fine, no errors reported. Re-booted, no change in behavior.
    - ran Registry Mechanic; it found and removed 509 problems. No change in behavior.
    - de-installed Office, de-installed Windows Installer, re-booted. Re-ran Registry Mechanic, found and removed another 37 errors. Ran Spybot (1 tracking cookie found and removed) and CounterSpy (nothing found), re-boot. Download and install fresh copy of Windows Installer 3.1, re-boot, re-install Office 2003 from the CDs that came with the Thinkpad, run Microsoft Update to get and load Office SP2 (and a couple of other minor updates), re-boot, no change in behavior.
    - ran Microsoft's Windows Installer Clean-up utility (msicuu2.exe) on Office 2003, re-installed Office from the CDs, re-ran Microsoft Update to get SP2 etc., no change in behavior.
    - per WOW for 10/3/05, ran Detect and Repair again, this time from Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs. "Repaired successfully", but no change.

Now what? Should I try LIStool.exe? I'm really lost at this point. I'm not getting any errors on any re-install or update, but the Installer error messages don't go away, and Outlook mailmerge still doesn't work. Any suggestions? And I'd love to get my disk space back.

Thanks in advance and hope.

Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installer error 1606, Outlook Mail Merge

#1) Perhaps MSKB article You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove a Microsoft program (although it's about a slightly different error message) helps - it suggests that you carefully check a series of registry entries.

#2) Try dismissing the Mail Merge Helper and activating the Mail merge task pane.

#3) You should either backup and remove lots of data files, or uninstall some little-used software. You will need at least a few GB of free disk space. I don't know why re-installing Office would diminish disk space.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the response.

#1) All the registry entries in the MSKB article are correct, but as you say that was written for a different occurrence of the 1606 error. In my case Office seems to be genuinely looking for a template of some kind; if I open Word by clicking a saved shortcut to a frequently-used document, i.e. one that doesn't require Word to retrieve Normal.dot, it opens without any error messages. Only if I open Word from scratch does it tell me it can't display the template before it does so, always after four attempts. Also seems to apply to the Powerpoint error, when I'm trying to bring up slide format templates. No idea what "add-in" it's looking for when I get the error opening Outlook.

#2) I assume you mean in Word, click Tools | Letters & Mailings | Mail merge... ? Hadn't come across that approach, but it helped, somewhat, by bringing in the right Contacts. However, the merge process left out all Job Titles, missed several valid addresses and left out the country name for non-US addresses despite my checking the option to show it. I manually edited all the envelopes to include all this information, but it then decided to print only the first one from the envelope feeder on my printer, and all others on plain paper from the drawer. I checked the document Page Setup | Paper and found it set to "First Page: Automatically Select" and "Other Pages: Default Tray (Automatically Select)", which is a little cryptic, but resetting both to "Automatically Select" made no difference. The output is also riddled with errors despite being fine on screen; some printed envelopes missed half the return address, some half the delivery address, one printed the addressee's name in Dingbats. I don't have enough spare envelopes (these are for Christmas cards) to keep up with something so fouled up, so will now write them all by hand - unless you have some magic words or advice I could use? :-)

#3) Many apologies and a big mea culpa; I just remembered this morning something massive I'd loaded on my drive without realizing how limited I was in space. I'll take it off again until I have more time to work with it. Still doesn't explain why the third Office re-install gave me the "low disk space" warning when the first two didn't.

Thanks for your help, Hans; any suggestions where I go from here on the 1606?

Best regards

Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could take a look t Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

This all sounds very strange, as if much more is messed up than just MS Office. I don't like to recommend it, but in such a situation I'd consider reinstalling the entire PC from scratch.

Lounger
    Thanks

I'll certainly work through Phil's checklist, since it seems to be a good precaution, but I've been coming to the same conclusion as you - the nuclear option could be the only choice. I'll post again after I've tried Phil's items.

Thanks, Hans.

Regards

Jon

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I ran into trouble on the first item of Phil's checklist, deleting temporary files. Search found 705 files; highlighting them all and hitting Delete gave me an error message of "Cannot delete file; cannot read from the source file or disk." I then tried highlighting just the *.tmp files in case a "~" file was causing the problem; it gave me an error of "Cannot delete ~DF36D9.tmp. Access is denied." This file is just one of many similar in the /Temp folder; it's in the middle of a list of similar files, and isn't the first of that type. I tried selecting just down to immediately before that file, and got the first message again.

Is this a common response, or just another hint that I should nuke it? I may still run through the Microsoft troubleshooting template that Phil refers to in his posting.

Regards

Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can't delete a temporary file, it means it's in use by a running application. Try deleting the files after restarting your PC. However, some background applications such as Microsoft Anti Spyware always keep some temporary files open, so you won't be able to delete those.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Well, Phil's checklist fixed the start-up problem in Word; it was simply a corrupted normal.dot template. Re-named that, let it create a new one at next start-up and no more error messages! THANK YOU. I haven't tried Outlook Mailmerge yet; I did all of my Christmas card envelopes by hand. Incidentally, the Microsoft Template that Phil refers to at the top of his checklist flat didn't work. I followed the Microsoft instructions to the letter to set it up, but clicking on the shortcut to open it just brought up Word with a new, blank document; no Template at all. The new normal.dot seems to have fixed the start-up error message in Outlook, too ("...can't display the add-in.."), for some reason.

However, I still get the same error message 66 times when trying to change a slide design in PowerPoint:
    "Microsoft Office Powerpoint can't display the template used in this document. Microsoft Office Powerpoint cannot install the necessary files due to Windows installer error 1606. Feature ID not registered."
    When it does finally display the available templates, there are 44 of them, so there doesn't seem to be a direct correlation. Do you know of a similar procedure I could try in Powerpoint?

Best regards

Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not a PowerPoint expert. If you don't get a reply here, you might ask the question specifically for PowerPoint in the PowerPoint forum. There's at least one MVP who regularly answers questions there.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, will do.

Best wishes for the holidays,

Jon