4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Messaging software

Can someone tell me about the security issues of using messaging software. i.e.AOL Messneger, yahoo messenger, msn messenger etc? I want to ascertain whether or not I should entirely ban these kind of applications(at work)?
    Few days ago a new worm that targets users of America Online's AOL Instant Messenger (most of the people here use IM)is believed to be the first that actually chats with the intended victim to dupe the target into activating a malicious payload, IM security vendor IMlogic warned Tuesday.

REGARDS,

Skender

Thanks

Re: Messaging software

Googling on <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><code>instant messenger security</code></span hi> brings up plenty of hits, like this Technical Info paper.

Thanks

There are a lot of reasons that businesses discourage or block instant messaging clients. One is security against inbound threats, as this traffic may not be filtered until the last second, especially attachments. A second is protection against company secrets slipping out through an unfiltered channel. A third is potential productivity effects of personal messages intruding into the workplace. For policy suggestions see: SANS Top 20 Vulnerabilities - The Experts Consensus, Instant Messaging Applications.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your replies..

Skender