New Lounger
    Thanks

Regular Crashing - Conflicts with OE etc???

Hi Everyone,

My system: P3, 1000, 256, with OS: Win98SE, Outlook 2000, MS Office 2000, IE 5.01, Outlook Express, NortonAV 2000, AVG 6.0 free AV by Grisoft.
    I am striking trouble tonight time & again whilst doing what I often do:
    1) Read/write NG msgs in MS OE 5.
    2) Read/Respond e-mail in MS Outlook 2000.
    3) Dwnld files (singly) that seem worthy.
    4) Surf sites in MS IE5
    Obviously I can't do everything at once but these are the screens & open activities that I often use. True most nights something will malfunction requiring a close & restart.

Tonight I can't shutdown except by power off.
    After restart no diff.
    Suspected Norton as always, uninstall did not fix then reinstall did fix BRIEFLY then problem resurfaced.
    Msg warning same:
    "An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C1664F40 in VxDSCSIPORT(01) + 000008B0.
    This ewas caused from 0028:c182F6AO in VxDvoltrack(04) + 00000000
    It may be posible to attempt to ncontinue/cont/alt/del/press any key etc etc etc...."

It's time this crashing (malfunction may be better term) needing restart, stopped & tonight's complication mean's I need to act fast I think. Can't keep repeating NAV in/out which now I think may not be root cause anyway.

How do I fix properly now, & what do I stop doing/using, to reduce risks in future.
    I can live without MSOE5 surely - if Forte Agent1.8 is used instead would that help
    stability?

Please can anyone guide me in step by step resolution, or further investigation as preliminary to resolution.
    TIA
    Pete

benp29

Re: Regular Crashing - Conflicts with OE etc???

Hi Pete!

I'm not too technical but I think you are on the right track here by suspecting Norton Antivirus but that's not all. I see that you have AVG 6.0 free AV by Grisoft. Is this another antivirus software? If so, I would suggest that you uninstall both NAV and AVG, observe your machine and then re-install only one of those two. I believe running two antivirus software simultaneously is the root of your problem. Also after you've install say NAV, check the settings as far as scanning as you shut down the machine. In many cases, if you ask that floppies be scanned and there are no floppies, then it seems to hang up your system. Hope some of this is helpful.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Regular Crashing - Conflicts with OE etc???

<hr>"An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C1664F40 in VxDSCSIPORT(01) + 000008B0.
    This ewas caused from 0028:c182F6AO in VxDvoltrack(04) + 00000000
    <hr>

that line gives you some clues hopefully. Specifially, VxDSCSIPORT and VxDvoltrack. Determine what they are drivers for and you'll know whewre the problem lies - or at least be closer to the true problem.

BTW - it's not a good idea to have two AV programs running at the same time. use one on autoprotect and use the other for scanning regularily - after disabling the one on autoprotect.