2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text Box causes crash

Word crashes instantly when I create a text box in a document, just at the point where I type the first character into the text box. I'm using Office 2000 Standard, SR-1 with Windows 98. Before that, I had Office 97 on the same machine. I've noticed this in documents started with Word 97, which I'm revising with Word 2000. With the previous version, Microsoft support spent hours on the phone with me, trying to find the problem, to no avail, and it's the reason I got the new version -- only to have the same problem! I can attach screen print of the error message if that will help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text Box causes crash

By what you're saying, I'm presuming you do not have this issue in a new, clean Word 2000 file, but only the files originated in 97. If I had to guess, I'd say the corruption issue from 97 is being brought forward with the document into 2K. Although there are various levels of "cleaning" corruption from a document, the least painful is to open a new document and use Insert / File and select the 97 file.
    Karen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Karen,
    You are a life-saver! Your solution (inserting the old file in a new Word 2000 document) seems to have eliminated the text box crashing problem. I'll experiment with starting the new file with the customized template I want, then inserting the file, or starting with Normal.dot, inserting, then attaching the custom template. Will let you know if I have any more trouble with text boxes. There will be some cleanup regardless, but it's way better than crashing. Thank you.

Betsy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Karen,
    The text box crashing is happening again. Here's what I did:
    1. Used File-New to open a new Word 2000 document -- with the template I created earlier (and which now becomes a suspect).
    2. Inserted the document that had been originally created in Word 97.
    3. Saved as a new name.
    4. Tried to add a text box and got a crash.

The error message is still "invalid page fault" but it's in a different part of Word than before. I saved the information and can send it as attachments if you wish -- and if I can figure out how to do that.

Any new ideas?

Betsy Frick

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Karen,

I tried your suggestion of opening a new Word 2000 document and inserting the Word 97 document to try to avoid the text box crashing problem. It seemed to work about twice.

The Word 97 document was developed with a customized template that I created. I needed to attach it to the inserted file for the pages to lay out correctly. That brought back the problem.

A colleague with whom I share files via email says that she's now having the same text box crashing problem on her computer! So, I'm guessing that I'll have to do more cleaning than we'd hoped. What do you recommend?

Should I erase/delete all templates that I have created, and build them again, basing them on Normal.dot from Word 2000?

By the way, I'm also having a Windows Registry problem, so will have to have a major overhaul - rebuild on my computer. That will mean formatting the hard drive and reinstalling software. But I suspect that the text box crash problem won't go away because I'll still have the older files that I need to work with again.

As a reminder, I have Windows 98, with Service Pack 1. Microsoft Office 2000, Standard SR-1, Academic edition.
    And I just received the Service Pack 2, but have not installed it.
    Your ideas will be much appreciated!

While this message is "in lounge" I'm going to test the text box crashing with a new Word 2000 document started with Normal.dot.

Betsy Frick