asc

Office'97 & Win2000

I once read that Office'97 would not run under Win 2000 / XP.
    On the other hand, I have been told that Office'97 would run properly under Win 2000 / XP provided the user has administrator rights.

Which is correct? Does it depend on the Version or SR?

Like many others, I would like to upgrade to Win 2000 and avoid the cost of upgrading Office.

Thanks to all,
    Andre

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Office'97 & Win2000

I believe that you must have "administrator rights" to install the program and set to run for ALL users.

It is best to have "administrator rights" when installing ANY software on any NT, Windows 2000 or XP OS. Some require it and some do not.

Also I think a "Power User" can install MOST software.
    Hope this helps.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a zip disk with several patches that I install whenever I reinstall Office 97. I am curious if there is any possibility of a conflict if I apply these patches when I install Office 97 over WIN XP? What patches/updates would you use?

I did an upgrade from WIN ME to WIN XP rc1 and my Office 97 seems to work fine. XP is far more stable than ME. Next I want to try a clean install of WIN XP, hence my question.

Steve

Super Moderator
    Thanks

First of all you can NOT "install Office 97 over WIN XP".

Depending on what these "Patches" are I see not problem of doing a Format, clean install of Windows XP RC1, Office 97 and then any trues patches that you have.

My self I order ALL patches (Service Releases) from MS on a CD. That way I get it from MS and has NOT been changed from what MS releases. These CD may cost a few bucks and shipping but are worth it when one rebuilds their machine a lot.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You say "after" when I say "over."

Thanks for the response. I think we have a problem with semantics. By "install Office 97 over WIN XP," I mean exacltly what you described in the next line. The operating system is the infrastructure, or foundation of the software environment, and applications are installed "over" the operating system in the sense that applications ulitilize OS functions in order to work properly. I have learned this terminology from years in this industry.

I am comparing an installation of "Office 97 over WIN 98" to "Office 97 over WIN XP." I was just wondering if the three-year old patches, which were recommended by Woody, might replace some system files which would interfere with the operation of WIN XP.

I don't have the disk with me today, but I believe it includes one of the service releases followed by several security patches and an updated Jet engine. The list came from a column that I follow, either Woody or one of the ZDNET columns. My recollection is that the columnist recommended against applying everything on the MS CD.

Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it should not cause any problems - typically you'll be warned about replacing new dlls with older during install - and winxp has SFP (system file protection). it'll restore replaced files.