sabrantley0623

Access Runtime 2K SR-1

I originally went to all pc's in our plant and installed the RT version after creating a package with the P & D wizard, using a contacts db for the package. I converted some databases and set up icons for the users on their pc's. I did not use the P & D wizard for those database. On some pc's, the users (after performing data entry & closing the database) get an error message that basically asks them if they want to remain on the network, or log out. This is on a Novell network. Most users have Win98, a few Win95. Any ideas?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Runtime 2K SR-1

I'm guessing this is some sort of Netware option. Do they immediately logon to the network when they turn their machines on, or does the login screen popup when they try to run this app? Netware may have options to login when network is needed, and logoff when not needed.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

sabrantley0623

Yes, they immediately logon (at bootup), otherwise they would only be able to access files on the hard drive. This problem only occurs when they close out the database. They can use any other program, and not get the message. I think it may be related to the dependency files in part. I ran regedit, found where it had references to the database, deleted the ones referencing the database (on the hard drive), and it worked. I am assuming that once even a sample database is used with the P & D wizard, a package does not need to be used for databases on the network, since the RT version will already be installed on the hard drive, and an icon pointing to the database on the network would need to be added to the desktop.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That isn't a safe assumption. If a particular database requires libraries that weren't installed with the original runtime setup, it won't work properly unless it's installed using a setup. The setup doesn't just install the runtime engine. It also installs the rest of the files that database needs unless they already exist and are at least as recent as those in the setup. Plus, it will create start menu groups and shortcuts for you.
    Charlotte

sabrantley0623

But will it include all of the necessary files (ISAM's, etc.)? If not, what is the easiest way for me to determine what files it needs?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's what it is supposed to do.
    Charlotte