New Lounger
    Thanks

Combo box in Form (2003)

I'm designing an Access data entry form. I have one populated table, which contains LastName, FirstName, ID (key). I created a combo box field to search on the ID, but I also want to take the related LastName and FirstName and have those automatically displayed on the form when I choose the ID.
    Essentially, I'm creating a variation of a Contacts table, but I want to be able to speed data entry by selecting from an existing table that just has the LastName, FirstName, ID fields.
    I've been this way before, but for the life of me, I cannot remember how to do this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo box in Form (2003)

Have you used the wizard? It will set the focus of your form automatically (assuming your form's data source is the table you're referring to). As far as data entry, is it going to be into the same table, or another table, linked by ID?

If your form does have a data source, the following code in the combo box's after update event will set your forms focus to the current record. You can drag fields from the field list onto your form.

Private Sub cboCOMBOBOXNAME_AfterUpdate()
    ' Find the record that matches the control.
    Dim rs As Object
    Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone
    rs.FindFirst "[ID] = '" & Me![cboCOMBOBOXNAME] & "'"
    Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
    End Sub

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can set the Column Count for the combo box to 3, and include LastName and FirstName in the row source of the combo box.
    You can then use text boxes on the form with control source

=[ComboBoxName].[Column](1)

and

=[ComboBoxName].[Column](2)

(Columns start counting at 0, so Column(1) is actually the second column, etc.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans. Your solution was just what I needed!