Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

converting .pst from xp to 2003? (Outlook 2003)

After reading woody's column in PC World, I have decided to go ahead and convert all my outlook xp files to 2003 ...and he gives simple instructions for doing it.

My question is: do I need to do the same thing for the ARCHIVE.PST as for the personal folders? If I don't, won't it cause a problem the next time I do an archive action?

thanks,

Tom O'Connell

Thanks

Re: converting .pst from xp to 2003? (Outlook 2003

I haven't read about the advantages of changing the file format. However, Outlook 2003 understands and handles both formats, so you should be able to change one PST without changing the other.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Woody Leonhard wrote and article in the January 2006 PC World "GUNK BUSTERS" that indicated the 2003 file format was different than all the others and much more trouble free (I'm trying to get rid of a few pesky issues) but that it was somewhat cumbersome to update from XP (and he outlined how to do it). I'm prepared to follow the procedures, and I think I need to do it again for archives...???

tom

Thanks

The Archive folder is a separate .pst file.
    <hr>I think I need to do it again for archives...<hr>
    Correct.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John. But do you know if I can just continue to use the existing (outlook 97-2002 format) archives or do they need the same update procedure once I've updated the outlook.pst to the 2003 format?

cheers,

tom

Thanks

I'm not really sure on that. Once you update the .pst file to the 2003 format, you certainly can still access the old format archives, but I'm not sure what will happen when you try to add additional items to this archive. When I switched, I didn't follow Woody's procedure. I simply created a new profile, exported everything from the old files and then imported all of the information into the new files.
    John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

From my experience Outlook 2003 can use either format (Unicode and non-Unicode) side by side without conversion.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks, guys. I think I'll live dangerously <g> and try just using it...after a backup of course.

tom

Star Lounger
    Thanks

well...here's an update:
    * you cannot archive 2003 files into an xp archive.pst...you get an error message when you try telling you that the formats are not compatible.
    * I made the mistake of then creating the archive.pst as my next step rather than being sure the outlook.pst would work
    * when I tried to transfer all the xp data to the new outlook.pst, I ran into the problem that there were no system folders (like SENT) and found that I could not move the existing SENT folder... I had actually only created a set of personal folders, which did not include the system folders. I'm not sure how to remedy this, but I was getting so confused, I just closed outlook and deleted all the files I just created and restored the backup files (I complicate this kind of process by keeping all my outlook files in a non-default folder so I can find them to move back and forth from the desktop to the laptop...a story for another question after I settle this one or decide to leave it alone <g>)

CAn anyone tell me I'm nuts to be pursuing this...I'm trying to solve some flaky-ness problems I've had since I upgraded to 2003 (actually one of the pc's is a clean install, but i'm using the xp files from earlier installs)...or can someone point me to a clear set of instructions to make the change to the 2003 formats (I found that Woody's article didn't really match what I was seeing on my own setup).

sorry to be so long winded...

thanks,

Tom O'Connell

Thanks

As I indicated in an earlier post, when I switched to the 2003 format (was using the 97-2002 format), I exported all of the information from the old pst, created a new profile for myself (in the new format), and then imported everything that I had exported. Worked without a hiccup.
    John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John. That worked for getting the data into the new format.

After I completed the export/import I closed and deleted the old outlook.pst but I could not close the old archive.pst... I get an error message "The operation failed. An object cannot be found."

any idea how to get rid of the old archives?

thanks for your help. your solution was much simpler and direct that the article one (sorry, woody <g>)...

cheers,

tom

Thanks

Outlook doesn't like to disconnect folders from its folder list if the folders are missing. If your old archive.pst is in the recycle bin, try restoring it. If that isn't possible, search for other threads with subjects like "ghost pst" or "duplicate folders" which addressed this problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I have the old archive.pst and can open it and see all the folders and messages, etc. but I cannot close it (after which I plan to delete it) without the error message...nor can I click the ADVANCED tab in properties without the same result.

I've switched this file out for another one from a backup..exactly the same result.

I have the exact same file on my desktop (did the same procedure of upgrading to 2003 there) and it worked (closing and deleting) fine with that setup.

The two pcs' outlook setups are exactly the same so I can take my pst file from the laptop after travel and copy it to desktop...(this is a later question of how to sync <g>)

any thoughts appreciated. (I found an article in MSKB but it referred to OL2000 and the registry files are different for 2003).

thanks,

tom

Thanks

If the desktop file works properly (and its contents are exactly the same as those which generate the error message), why don't you copy it and overwrite the troublesome file?
    John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did that and it doesn't change anything. the laptop is still looking at the old archive (which is truly the same on both pcs) and then will not allow me to close and delete it.

Or did you mean that I should copy over more than just the .pst files?

tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast