3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A normal.dot type file for Excel (2000, XP, and 2003)

I have been told that Excel has a file simliar to Word's normal.dot and its' extension is xlb. What is this file's function and is it new for Office 2003 because I do not find it on my Office 2000 or XP machines, only on my Office 2003 PC? Does it behave like normal.dot and saves any menu or tool bar changes?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A normal.dot type file for Excel (2000, XP, and 2003)

There is no one single file that is the equivalent of Normal.dot for Excel.

Out of the box, there is no default template for blank new workbooks. However, you can create a template named Book.xlt (for new workbooks) and another template named Sheet.xlt (for new worksheets) and store them in your XLSTART folder.

The role of global macro container is played by Personal.xls. See Legare Coleman's <!post=Personal.xls Tutorial (All),118382>Personal.xls Tutorial (All)<!/post>.

Various customizations (custom toolbar buttons, custom lists) are stored in a file with extension .xlb. Its default name is Excel9.xlb for Excel 2000, Excel10.xlb for Excel 2002 and Excel11.xlb for Excel 2003. On my PC, it is stored in Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftExcel. Application Data is a hidden folder, so you must display hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer to be able to see the file.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Han. You sentence "Various customizations (custom toolbar buttons, custom lists) are stored in a file with extension .xlb", isn't this the same function that normal.dot performs? Also why am I only seeing the xlb file on the PC with Office 2003 and not the ones with XP and 2000 and the setting are for showing the hidden folders and files on those two PCs? Could a special addin (xla) perform some functionor functions that would have created the XLB and use it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Storing toolbar customizations is only one of the functions of Normal.dot. It also stores global macros and acts as default template for new documents. The .xlb file does NOT perform the latter functions in Excel.

I don't know why you can't find the .xlb files for Excel 2000 and 2002. The file should be created/updated automatically each time the user quits Excel.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A normal.dot type file for Excel (2000, XP, an

*.xlb files have been around since (at least) Office 97. At the moment, I do not have access to my production machine, but from Office 2000 they have been stored - as HansV says - under Application DataMicrosoftExcel. With Office 97, they were stored in the Windows Directory as [username]8.xlb. The only time I have ever seen a machine running Excel without its *.xlb file is directly after the file has been deleted. HTH
    Gre