Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoSave; Refresh? (2003 SP1)

Note: I have turned off ALL save options under Tools>Options>Save. Maybe someone can tell me what to turn off or what service is running that causes Word to "save" or refresh every 9 or 10 seconds.

Here's what happens. Whether I am typing or Word is standing idle, the cursor shows the hourglass (and everything pauses) every 9 seconds.

Any ideas of how to make this stop? This is a new installation, new computer, and I ran a fix/repair with no change.

Thanks

Re: AutoSave; Refresh? (2003 SP1)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 14-Dec-05 12:22. )</P>What version did you use before? Each upgrade seems to want to do more and more real-time automation, whether it's the spell and grammar checking, Clippy asking if you are writing a letter, smart tags making dotted underlines around anything Microsoft has a database for, and so on and so on.

First, check the interval for Autorecovery Saves. Something like 5 minutes should be fine.

Next, to cut down on background processing, you could turn off real-time grammar checking, turn off smart tags, and turn off most of the AutoCorrect As You Type options. Does that help?

If you're still seeing the same behavior, perhaps Office is connecting home to Microsoft for some reason. I don't use Office 2003 enough to know when or why this might happen, but if you have any particular task pane open while you're working, try closing it and see if that helps.

Added: If you use any add-ins, such as Office anti-virus protection from Norton, or the WOPR package, those also might be suspects.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll try to answer your questions:

I used Office 2003 before. This is a fresh install on a new computer.

I checked all interval Autorecovery Saves and even changed it to none.

I turned off smart tags. I turned off some AutoCorrect as you type options, but this happens even when Word is idle. I tried turning everything off and it still does it. I think it is trying to go out to check for something, but what?

I do not use WOPR. I am using all the same software as before. It is mistifying and irritating.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had not, but I did, and nothing worked. However I have two suspects... (I removed SnagIt, but that did not affect anything and I have not reinstalled it yet.) BUT I have two addins running that I do not know how to disable. I suspect Bluetooth (this is new for me). I even disabled Bluetooth and I still show this addin and I still get the same behavior. The other is a document manager addin. Here they are:

1. Send to Bluetooth-BtOfficeAddin.BtOfficeIntegration.1
    2. Document Manager - Cognizance.MSOAddin

Could one or both of these be the culprit?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have no experience with either, perhaps someone else can comment on this.