Thread: Auto updates

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto updates

Are you adding new data to a range of cells and then wish to automatically update the chart?

C2Ranches

Everyweek a new row is inserted with that weeks data. The chart (s) pull their information from sheet 1 and build their bars. I can of course updated by double clicking on the range and then dragging it to include the new data, but it would be much easier if it was automatic. There are about 70 of these charts in 10 different excel files that were all converted from lotus and contained massive amounts of data back to 1980.

Thanks again for your help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

> I can of course updated by double clicking on the range and then dragging it to include the new data,<

It seems to me that you can do this with a VBA macro.

1. Identify the new data range, first cell/last cell
    2. Assign the range (as a string value) to the chart property that needs it.
    3. Initiate the action with a button on the sheet(s)

What do you think?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Set your chart series to extend 1 row beyond the last row of data. As long as the new data row is inserted and not pasted on top of that blank row, your chart series will automatically expand to include the inserted row.

You'll have to tolerate one empty column at the right of your charts, which shouldn't bother anyone. Or you can change all charts to line charts, and have some more options about shifting axes. This method doesn't work well with area charts, which zoom down to zero on any blank point in their series.

Aloha,

JohnJ

C2Ranches

Auto updates

Is there anyway to get a converted from lotus spreadsheet chart to update automatically when a new information in the reference is inserted. I have tried the offset and counta function but get a function not reconized for the offset in the seris data. I am using Excel 2000 on Windows 2000 Pro SP2.

thanks for any help!

I am adding a sample spreadsheet. I hope this helps.