3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word XP installs at every reboot

I'm running Windows 2000 (all the updates and patches) ... and it happens to have Word XP (10) on board. Suddenly? every time I do a reboot the process stalls for awhile as Windows Installer announces that it is preparing to install. This sits for awhile - no indication of what is installing - before continuing with the rest of the start up files. Out of curiosity I hit cancel on the installer and it showed up that I had interrupted installation of Word 10 (XP). Why does it need to install it every time there is a reboot/restart when it has been on board and operational for 3 years +/-?????? -- Is there some way of beating this annoyance and delay?

Al

Thanks

Re: Word XP installs at every reboot

I'm moving this from W2K to the General MS Office forum as I suspect it is more of an Office issue than an OS one, and should get a better response there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Seems like no one has any great advice for this problem.

Al

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sure I've seen this described in the lounge before, but my memory can't dredge up the details and a search didn't find the relevant posts either. I will post again if I remember.

StuartR

Thanks

Do you by chance have more than one version of Office installed (ie. 2000 and XP)?
    <!mskb=822238>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 822238<!/mskb> may explain what is causing this behaviour. That article also explains how to perform an "on-demand" detect & repair. Might be worth giving this a shot.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

Here's a couple of threads searching threw up for me, begining with <post:=471,915>post 471,915</post:> and <post:=456,433>post 456,433</post:> - and this third one (<post:=296,474>post 296,474</post:>) from yourself back in September 2003!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I did write about something similar before ... that was when I ran Word 97 for something and then later clicked on a .doc file and XP went through the installation thing. (I would just as soon have Word 97 open with I click on a doc file, but Windows refuses to allow that to happen.)

What is happening now is different ... Windows installer comes up on every reboot or restart.

I will try the repair etc. thing, and see if that cures the problem. Thanks for the help.

Al