Lounger
    Thanks

Email Merge losing Format (Word 2003)

I am sending out emails via an Email merge from an Excel table. This Excel table has numbers and most of the time, when I import the amounts into the mail merge setup in Word, the numbers are carried out to mulitple decimals. I have the ROUND formulas in Excel in use and have tried multiple Excel-based formatting options. But it doesn't seem to work consistently. The weird things is that out of 151 emails, I will pull 2 that are formatted correctly. Yes, I have tried copying the formats in Excel etc--to no avail. I don't see how to apply a format in Word that holds up.

The second weird part is that I have done something in the past that made ALL the emails come through with the nice 2 decimal format but can't figure out what I did. I am wondering if it is the way I open the Excel file--sometimes I already have this password-protected file open and sometimes I don't. Or if there is a settting that impacts this in the Word Setup. It was an older Word Mail Merge template and every time I open it, I get a message box telling me that it is about to run an SQL query. Don't know how to kill that either.

Can someone please, please help on this formatting issue or give me guidanc on what I might be doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email Merge losing Format (Word 2003)

See if this link helps with your first query.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;320473

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Deb's link should help. Alternatively, you can format the result in Word:
    - Right-click a merge field.
    - Select Toggle Field Codes from the popup menu.
    - You'll see something like { MERGEFIELD Fieldname }
    - Insert a formatting switch so that it looks like { MERGEFIELD Fieldname # "0.00" }
    - Press F9 to hide field codes and to update the field.

I don't think you can suppress the security warning.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Steve,
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I will check it out--Hans, I couldn't find out how to control that number format to save my life! Thank you! And for what its worth, I did finally get all 151 emails to be properly formatted, but once again, am not exactly sure what I did. I am trying to go back through the steps and see.

I wish I could figure out where the Security warning comes from. I think part of the problem I get is that the Excel file is password protected and I get hung up on getting it opened DURING the merge process. Will try to keep you posted.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> But when you merge it to Word 2003, it brings in 25.00689384 or some such.

That is really weird. It would be interesting if you could post a workbook that demonstrates the problem - you can remove or replace most data before attaching it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll see if I can, Hans.

I'm seeing this when remote-desktopped into another users computer and working with her mail merge.

When I try to re-create the problem on my own PC using test data, I can't get it to happen for me.

pribb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This seems to be a consistent problem with 2003.

We have some users who can import from Excel to Word just fine, and others have who have the problem described as described above -- with it bringing over more numbers than needed. The Mergefield switch works okay for the time being (I can't get the KB article link above to work completely <edit - okay, the link didn't like Firefox, but worked in IE okay>). But this doesn't explain one instance of this I am seeing:

I can see merge fields doing this if the original cell the information is being pulled from was the result of a formula, or an equation where it actually contains five or six numerals beyond the decimal, even if formatted to two.
    However, we have one Excel spreadsheet where the numbers (currency) are VALUES -- actually TYPED in by the user. So, say it has $25.00 typed in -- nothing more. No formula. But when you merge it to Word 2003, it brings in 25.00689384 or some such. Where the heck is it getting the extra numbers?

pribb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, regardless, looks like the Microsoft article fixed it..
    I turned on the "confirm conversion" option as it said to in the KB article, because prior to that it wasn't asking her how to import. That gave her the option to choose via DDE, which retained the Excel formatting properly.

But I will always wonder how it came up with other numbers..

pribb