Star Lounger
    Thanks

e mail 'locks' OE (OE SP2)

Very occasionally when I'm accessing my e mail, OE stops downloading and hangs showing the Receiving Mail message. No matter how long it's left the download doesn't happen. The only way I can regain access to this e mail account is by going into the ISP's web mail and deleting messages, one by one, until I find the message that is causing the stoppage. Once that message is deleted that e mail address works OK. There's no pattern to the e mails that cause the stoppage. They are from various senders, of varying length and not confined to one particular e mail address (I have four). I've contacted the ISP but they can't offer an explanation.
    It's not a major problem, just irritating, but I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: e mail 'locks' OE (OE SP2)

Does this problem still happen if you check your e-mail accounts sequentially - rather than all 4 at once? (It is not a very satisfactory workaround - as you would have to disable both "send & receive on start-up" and "check for messages every [x] minutes" & do all your checking manually.)

Do you have any screening/filtering software that runs between polling your ISP and the actual downloading into your Inbox?

HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for comments:
    I have tried accessing each e mail account separately with the others disabled when the problem occurs. The offending e mail still 'blocks' one of the e mail accounts. There is, of course, an Anti-Virus program in place that checks each e mail but that doesn't stop an e mail address, but reports if it finds an infected e mail. I always do my e mail checking manually.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What I was (indirectly) suggesting is that checking all 4 accounts simultaneously may be the root of the problem. Going to one by one [/i]afterwards[/i] may be "too late".

The Anti-Virus should not be an issue. What I was thinking of was some kind of "spam quarantine" solution.

You may wish to review your choice of ISP when the next renewal arises; provides that makes both practical (local choice) and economic sense. I'm inclined to very much doubt that the problem has anything to do with your personal configuration. Personally, I have had "simultaneous" accounts for many years and have never had (or directly heard of) your precise problem.

HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again. I see what you mean about checking each account separately but I think that would be more of a nuisance than putting up with the odd stoppage. The only spam filter that I'm aware of is OE's which I've configured to block known spam senders. None of the 'failed' e mail senders were on my OE blocked list. I feel, as you suggest, that it is an ISP problem. Unfortunately there's no practical way to change as it's a broadband cable connection. TBH I don't really want the hassle of changing unless things get really bad.