New Lounger
    Thanks

Printing page ranges in multi-sectioned doc

I have searched the Microsoft site and the Word MVP site and Googled the Web, and am pulling my hair out over this one. I tried to post it to the Microsoft Community Word user group, but the Web interface won't let me post the question, and Microsoft's "support" for their Web site is anything but. Can you help?

I am using Word 2000 SP3 and Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

I created a document that is 208 pages long and contains 22 sections. Within the document, there are numbered Sections (not Word sections), for which I used the SEQ field. Page numbering uses a SEQ section reference, followed by a PAGE reference, so my numbering ends up being A-1, A-2 and B-1, B-2, etc. All of that works fine.

When I print the document, everything is fine if I print the entire document. If I print using Word's section printing technique, all is still fine (i.e., I can print section A by specifying s3 as the print range--the title page and TOC are in separate sections before it). I can print a single page by specifying to print "Current page." I can print a selection.

I cannot print a single page, or a range of pages, by specifying a page number--for example, page 150. If the page number exists in the document footer, it will print every page after that number to the end of the document. If the number does not exist (no section is longer than 22 pages, so if I specify printing page 40, for example), it doesn't print at all.

I have two printers at my command (HP LaserJet 2100M and HP OfficeJet 6110xi). Both behave the same way.

What I can't do, and what my client needs to be able to do, is print a specified page range without specifying sections. (This document will be made available to public groups across the country to modify, and nearly all of them will be casual users of Word.) Since the Word status bar reflects the total number of pages in the document, and the page you are on, it should be able to print a specified range of those pages. However, that does not work.

I tried inserting a second PAGE field in the footer, planning to make it invisible, but it took on the characteristics of the section-numbered page numbers, so I couldn't make it reflect that the page was both A-1 and page 10 of 208.

I need a way for a novice Word user to be able to specify a range of pages to print without having to know what section the information they want to print is in. Any ideas? I am on digest, so if would respond directly to the email below, that would be great. Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Printing page ranges in multi-sectioned doc

Hello K. Bruni. For purposes of knowledge sharing, we try to keep all replies on the board. (You can ask for direct replies to be e-mailed to you using an option at the bottom of the big text box while composing your post. This shouldn't generate too much traffic.)

Word of course has "print current page," and in the past various solutions have been posted which might address your need. For example, you refer to the "physical" page number. One could intercept the print dialog and change the page range from "physical" to "logical" (for example, if the user did not use p2s4 notation). Would that be appropriate? The problem is that you would need to either embed the macro into your document, generating security prompts, or install it on the users' computers. In your scenario--casual users spread across the country--I'm not sure that either of these is attractive.

Thanks

Just as an example of the things you can do with a macro, take a look at this post: <!post=Print selection of pages across section breaks (#204230),204230>Print selection of pages across section breaks (#204230)<!/post>. In that example, which you can test for yourself (paste the code into the body of a Word document first to avoid HTML-to-VBA pasting glitches), the macro calculates the page range and then inserts it into the standard print dialog so the user gets the final say and can make any needed corrections.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think a macro will be feasible. I am looking for something hidden, but automated, that will allow users to just use the print dialog without any unusual actions. These folks don't even know what styles are, let alone how to deal with macros.