Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Linked graphics and "Open with..."

I use Word 2000 SR-1, and I sometimes use linked graphics in my documents. Let's say I have a placeholder for a photo in a document, and the placeholder contains a hyperlink to the photo. Until recently, I could click on the link and launch MS-Photo Editor, which would then display the photo. However, a family member sent me some photos via e-mail recently, and the photos were in TIFF format. Photo Editor would not open the TIFF pictures, so I dug around till I found the dormant MGI PhotoSuite SE application that had come pre-loaded on my computer. PhotoSuite SE displayed the TIFF files all right, but now I have a new problem. My system now thinks I want to use PhotoSuite for all my photos. When I click on a link in a Word document, PhotoSuite launches and opens the picture (JPEG) file, but the photo flashes on the screen for half a second and disappears! Photo Editor would display the graphic until I close it. So I have a couple of questions: (1) Where do I go to tell Windows which application to use to open a particular type of file? (2) What did I do to cause Windows to switch from Photo Editor to MGI PhotoSuite SE? (Whatever I did, I don't want to do it again!) I don't want to uninstall PhotoSuite--it's useful for those times when my knucklehead relatives send me their huge TIFF files! But...can I sort of knock it senseless till I need it again?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linked graphics and "Open with..."

Uninstall & reinstall the Photo Editor & this should take care of the situation.
    tiff should still open with MGI.

Bob_D

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Bob: Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

1. In Windows Explorer- Tools, Folder Options, File Types. You can edit which programs are activated for which extensions.

2. Many programs chnage the settings when installed. It's probably partly to make it easier for users, but probably a way for the program makers to say, "Use MY program". It helps when you install a program where those settings are new, but potentially a hindrance when multiple programs operate from the same settings.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I followed your guidance and went to Windows Explorer. There I found that JPEG files are already set to open with PhotoEd. I looked further, however, and found this: PhotoSuite Image (ext: gif, jpe, jpg, jpeg, tiff, tif) (content [MIME]: image/gif) opens with: PSTARTER. I don't know what PSTARTER is, but could it have anything to do with my issue? I just now went into Windows Explorer and found a .jpg image. Tools/Options/File Types has told me that a JPEG image opens with PhotoEd, right? But when I double-click on the .jpg image, it launches MGI PhotoSuite SE and displays there! If I click on a link to that image in a Word document, again it launches MGI and "flashes" the image (i.e., the image does not remain open in MGI--all I have is a blank window in the MGI application). I'm going to try Bob_D's idea (unininstall and reinstall PhotoEd) and see it that maneuver solves the problem. But I'll appreciate any other suggestions.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can I suggest you try the following?

In Windows Explorer, find an example of a TIF file (which is the default file type saved by a number of scanner programs, which is probably why your rellies photos are sent in that format!).

Left click ONCE on the TIF file to highlight it. Then while holding down the SHIFT key, right click on the TIF file. In the menu box that opens up, you should get a command called 'OPEN WITH'. Click on that, and you will get a list of applications you can choose from to open that type of file. Choose whatever app you want to open TIF files, and select it from the list. Make sure you also add a checkmark to the little box near the bottom which asks if you are to always open this type of file with this application. Then click OK.

From now on, double clicking on a TIF file should launch whatever program you chose to open a TIF with.

Do the same for all other file types where you wish to specify the program to open that file type.

To summarise... in Win Explorer, highlight a file of the type you want to specify the application to be used, then with the cursor over the highlighted file, hold down the shift key and simultaneously right click.