New Lounger
    Thanks

Removing the numbering button (xp)

Hello, I am starting to use Word and know some things are possible but not how, today my problems are:

1. how do i have a macro that wll remove the numbering button, if present when a template is loaded?
    2. when saving a document for the first time how do I force the properties dialogue to display... I know I can change the settings in options but not all my users will do this... or it occurs to me that I could change that setting on loading a template?

thank you in anticipation, Gregorio

Thanks

Re: Removing the numbering button (xp)

Regarding #1, here is some sample code to "gray out" the Numbering button (actually, it toggles it gray and not gray):

Sub ToggleNumberingButton()
    CustomizationContext = ActiveDocument
    CommandBars("Formatting").Controls("Numbering").En abled = _
    Not CommandBars("Formatting").Controls("Numbering").En abled
    End Sub

Regarding #2, you can turn on a global option for Word:

Options.SavePropertiesPrompt = True

It's a little tricky to save and restore the user's own preference, but if that turns out to be important in your environment, I'm sure you can find some implementation suggestions (e.g., external text file, Word document property or variable, registry) in past threads.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dear jesher,

Thank you #2 is perfect. Regarding you answer to #1 I suspect greyed will cause more user questions that is necessary so I think I want to get rid of it altogether, I have worked out a macro that implements it's own formatting toolbar that does not include it and switches the delivered toolbar off, is this the best way?

thanks, gregorio

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could use Jefferson's code, but set the Visible property of the Numbering button instead of the Enabled property.

CommandBars("Formatting").Controls("Numbering").Vi sible = False

will hide the Numbering button.

Thanks

If there is only one button different, I think Hans' solution is easiest. The problem with custom toolbars is that what you see when editing the template may not be what the user sees because by default Word I believe will try to merge Formatting toolbar information from all sources (document, attached template, Normal.dot, global templates) -- with somewhat unpredictable results.