New Lounger
    Thanks

Address Book/contact list (2003 SP2)

I got a new computer and reinstalled office. I then copied my outlook.pst file from my old computer to my new computer. In Outlook I had a contacts folder, family folder, miscellaneous folder and personal folder. Now, in the new computer I have 8 folders instead of 4. They are: Contacts; contacts in personal folders; family in personal folders; miscellaneous in personal folders; personal in personal folders; family; miscellaneous; and personal. Basically, each folder is duplicated. In other words the contacts in the "family in personal folders" are the same as in the "family" folder. My problem is that whenever I address an email, outlook doesn't find any of my contacts. Outlook can't find my address book. I'm confused between the address book and contacts. Also, when I look where the *.pab file is supposed to be, it is not there. I understand it should be in c:documents and settingsuserlocal settingsapplication datamicrosoftoutlook but all that is there is my outlook.pst file and a couple of others. I am trying to print labels for Christmas cards from my contacts folder and cannot do it. All of the contacts are there, I just can't seem to access them. Can anyone help me clean this up please? I'm very confused. Thanks much

Addendum: I just clicked on the address book icon and got a message that says "the address list could not be displayed. the contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted or you do not have permissions..." When I click OK, the address book dialog box opens. I click on the drop down arrow next to contacts under "show names from the" box and I see my drop down list of the four folders (not 8) contacts, family, miscellaneous and personal.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Address Book/contact list (2003 SP2)

Thank you John. It worked. I was also able to get rid of the duplicate listing of those contact lists by right clicking on the contact folder and choosing "remove from my contacts". I have no idea how they got created in the first place. They were exact duplicates of the original folder (i.e. I had a "personal" folder and outlook created a second one named "personal in personal folders". The only thing that is left is a duplicate contact folder that contains nothing. It only shows up when I click on the address book and choose "show names from the" drop down arrow. Then I see two contacts listed there. One of them contains nothing. However, I don't see two contacts in my folder list in the main outlook window. I'm not brave enough to try the second "scary" part of the post so I'll leave well enough alone. Again, many thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Address Book/contact list (2003 SP2)

You need to re-enable all your Contacts as Outlook Address Books as explained in Jefferson's <!post=Star Post,334705>Star Post<!/post>, and remove the invalid Contacts Folder References as explained in the same thread with that post.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS