2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PAGE_FAULT (XP Home SP2)

On a dell laptop I am getting the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error when I try to boot normally. When I start in safe mode everything works perfectly. I stripped out all startup files from msconfig, There is no program or service shown in the error message. All posts seem to have this error relating to memory. There a 2 256 mb memory chips. I have taken out each one with the same result. I don't know where to go next. What could cause this error normally that isn't happening during safe mode?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PAGE_FAULT (XP Home SP2)

It does not necessarily mean that the memory itself is bad; software that is poorly written can do this too. Notorious offenders include system level software such as antivirus, firewalls, and anything else that runs in ring 0 (kernel) mode.

Have you checked the Event Viewer for any messages? That would be the first place to look. Evidently you have something starting at boot that is misbehaving, so it may behoove you to remove any of the aforementioned software - and run a CHKDSK as well, just to be sure that you are not experiencing a problem with the disk.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PAGE_FAULT (XP Home SP2)

I finally gave up. Saved all the data while in safe mode across a network and reinstalled the Old OS and programs. Now it is all dandy fresh and as good as it will ever be. Some things are just meant to stay mysteries.
    So this is now closed.