2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Message on startup (Windows XP)

When I turn on my computer and all my icons appear on my desktop, I also get a message that I cannot get rid of. First of all I have to tell you that I downloaded some pictures from a digital camera that wasn't mine, therefore I had to install Camera and choose a driver and I did in fact download all the pictures. But since then I removed the camera selection and keep getting a message on startup. How can I get rid of this permanently.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Message on startup (Windows XP)

If you have not already done so run a scan with your anti-spyware/malware programs to make sure it is not spyware/malware trying to connect to the internet. You can also use msconfig to see what is running at start-up, it may list something related to the camera.

How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP may also assist.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Check if there is a program that tries to start up automatically. The first places to look are the folders
    Cocuments and Settings<username>Start MenuProgramsStartup
    and
    Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartup
    and the registry locations
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionRun
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun
    For a very comprehensive overview of programs and processes starting automatically, download and install the free utility AutoRuns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi HansV, I downloaded autoruns as you suggested but I don't know what to look for in the results in relation to the previously installed camera. I can't find anything to that effect. Can you give me some suggestions?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi TonyE, I run antispyware from Microsoft every night so that's taken care of. I cannot find anything in relation to the camera in MSCONFIG. Is there anything I'm missing as far as uninstalling a camera? I can't remember exactly what I did to get rid of it, I think I only deleted the Icon in the Control Panel, Cameras. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Not knowing what brand/type of camera it was, it is impossible to say. Perhaps if you post (a screenshot of) the list, someone will have a suggestion.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, problem has been corrected by itself, I guess after Microsoft did an update on my computer. Thanks.