Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Displaying tracked changes crashes Word (Word 2000

I just had a new and upsetting experience with Word 2000. I made extensive changes to a document with "track changes" turned on but with "highlight changes on screen" turned off. When I was done I turned on "highlight changes..." to proofread. First I noticed that text was missing at the beginning of some paragraphs. Some paragraph breaks were missing, and some were present where none should have been. Then I scrolled to a page that showed a huge amount of vertical whitespace where there should have been none, and -- crash! Word froze.

This problem was quite reproducible. It occurred only when "highlight changes on screen" was enabled, but regardless of which options were set (change bars on or off, deleted text hidden or not, etc).

I was able to eliminate the problem by accepting all changes -- I think -- without losing any text -- I think. I have to assume it will happen again, though.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? I searched Microsoft's knowledge base but could not find a reference to it.

Given Microsoft's less than stellar record of getting its fixes right, I apply updates only when I have a specific need. I have been using Word 2000 since it was new, and flogging it pretty hard, and have never run into a serious bug before. This is the first time I have used "track changes" more than casually, though. It looks like I need an update now, but I can't find the right one, if there is a right one.

Thanks

Re: Displaying tracked changes crashes Word (Word

I think there were two or three service packs for Office 2000.

I always display changes as I work. If it's too confusing, I use Save As, accept all, and start from there. This is because I generally want the changes to appear in an understandable way. (Lawyer, naturally.)

The problem with working with changes hidden is that you completely lose control of the insertion point. Whether that is related to your document's problem, or it has some other kind of corruption in it, I really don't know. You could try saving to RTF, closing, opening the RTF, then saving to DOC. Possibly this will correct any internal formatting flaws in the DOC file...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gee, that's interesting... I rarely if ever display the changes as I work because it's too confusing. (And I'm a lawyer, too. The document happens to be my first "real" patent application.) Save-Accept all is not an option, because my work will be reviewed by another attorney who expects to see all the changes I have made since the last review.

I tried the save-to-RTF trick, but the freshly laundered file gave me the same old crash. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the normal style has paragraph numbering turned on.

I can, of course, install the service packs if it appears that they will help. But given Microsoft's tendency to release service packs that create new problems, I'm hoping for some assurance that they will solve the old problem, at least, before I bite the bullet. Installing the service packs just to see if they will help strikes me as being like taking two aspirin just to see if they will help, regardless of whether the problem is an eye infection or a broken leg.

Thanks

Each SP fixes a lot of bugs. If you aren't all using the latest SP, it is difficult to rule out a "fixed bug." While later SP's sometimes create problems, we are talking about a six year old product that has had only a few major updates, so I doubt that waiting will yield any better (superseding) updates.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I installed the latest update (SR1a). It appears to have made no difference at all.

I have already tried saving the document as a text file and inserting it into a brand-new document based on the normal template. That didn't work, either. Naturally there were no changes left to track, but I tried comparing the document to the previous version and got the same crash.

What really puzzles me is that the thing worked for a while, then stopped. That suggests that the file got corrupted, but then, why should a freshly reconstructed file have the same problem? Obviously because the template got corrupted, but we can rule that out because my normal template is read-only, for precisely that reason. It was last changed on 9/12/2004.

I can think of other things to try, but they are in the nature of stabs in the dark. Does anyone have suggestions?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>we are talking about a six year old product that has had only a few major updates...

Yes, that's somewhat reassuring. If the last service pack was a real disaster, I suppose it wouldn't have been the last! I'll give it a try as soon as I have met my current deadline.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I would strongly recommend installing all of the service packs for Word 2000. In the meantime, I ask that you run the following test on the problem document:
    1. <LI>Launch VBE (Alt + F11) or Tools > Macro > Visual Basic Editor
      <LI>Open the Immediate Window (Ctrl + G)
      <LI>Enter the following code,
      <font color=blue>?Application.ActiveDocument.ListTemplat es.Count</font color=blue>
      <LI>Ensure the cursor is still somewhere on the line of code which you just entered; and
      <LI>Hit the Enter key
    I would expect that the number returned from the above exercise to be in the low hundreds (100 - 300). If it approaches 1500, stand by for problems with your work. You require SP2 along with a minor Registry change
    Regards
    Don

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>I would strongly recommend installing all of the service packs for Word 2000....

I don't understand. The service release I installed postdates all of the service packs. Does it not incorporate them? If it does, attempting to install one of the service packs on top of it would do nothing if the install worked properly, or mess up the installation if not.

>In the meantime, I ask that you run the following test on the problem document:
    > ?Application.ActiveDocument.ListTemplates.Count

I performed this test with a freshly started copy of Word, and only my problem document loaded. The result I got was 3.

I looked up "ListTemplates," and found that it returns a collection of objects that "represent the seven predefined list formats on each tab in the Bullets and Numbering dialog box." It's not clear to me what that means in the context of the ActiveDocument object; I guess that the count should be either the number of bulleted and list paragraph styles used in the document, or the number defined in the document, multiplied by 7. I have defined one such style, and just going by style names there appear to be 20 predefined unused ones, so the result should be either 7 or 147. Instead it's not even a multiple of 7.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jonathan
    My apologies for the sloppy terminology (Service Pack v/s Service Release). A detailed explanation of the List Templates problem can be found here.
    Please note that the documents which you have open, is of no consequence; it's the active document that matters.
    Regards
    Don

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

> My apologies for the sloppy terminology (Service Pack v/s Service Release).
    > A detailed explanation of the List Templates problem can be found here.

Thanks for your suggestion. I read the information at the link you provided, and it says that the recommended fix is to install SR-1a. Since I just did that without solving my problem, it appears that my problem is something else.

I will pass on the mystery of a ListTemplates.count that is not divisible by 7, since it doesn't appear to relate to the bug I'm trying to fix.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Did you also modify the registry?
    Regards
    Don

Thanks

I'm not sure how SR1a could postdate SP2 and SP3. Please check these pages:

Download details: Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 2 (SP-2)
    Download details: Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 3 (SP3)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don Wells wrote:

> Did you also modify the registry?

My apologies; I missed that due to the unfortunate way that the instructions were formatted. I now have modified the registry, though, and it also had no effect.

jscher2000 wrote:

>I'm not sure how SR1a could postdate SP2 and SP3.

I assume this is so because SR numbers and SP numbers are not advanced together. If you check the dates in the download database, it is clearly so:

Office 2000 Service Release 1a (SR-1a), 9/4/2003
    Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 3 (SP3), 10/21/2002
    Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 2 (SP-2), 11/14/2000

I checked the links you suggested, and they give the same dates.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jonathan
    If you check the first of the links that Jefferson pointed you towards, you will find the following information:
    <blockquote><hr>Before you install this update, make sure that you are currently using the SR-1 versions of all the Office 2000 applications that are installed on your machine. To determine which version of Office 2000 is currently installed on your computer, please follow these steps:
    <UL><LI>In Microsoft Windows
    Regards
    Don

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your assistance. This problem is going to have to wait for a few days; several unrelated crises have come up, and have got to be resolved now. Apart from the time that solving this problem will take, I can't afford any risk of making Office malfunction worse than it already is, on top of everything else is happening. When I have a chance to install SP2 I will report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast