New Lounger
    Thanks

Newsgroups and Outlook

I use Outlook as my default email app (...Outlook mainly for PDA synch for Calendar, Tasks etc) but I was wondering why Outlook doesn't include a Newsgroup reader (NNTP). I liked OE for a few reasons but abandoned it when I bought my PDA. OE does include a Newsgroup reader, which is where I have to go to read the newsgroups.

So why isn't this included in Outlook?

Any clues?

Thanks .....Mike Biber

ril

Re: Newsgroups and Outlook

I don't know why MS didn't include it... it seems to be a big hole in Outlook (especially when compared to Outlook Express).

I can recommend XNEWS as a simple NNTP client. The UI is very coarse, but it ignores HTML (which is very good), is highly configurable (though you may have to actually look at the manual) as is not a resource hog. Plus, it's free. Any search engine should find it on the web.

Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook uses Outlook Express with the mail functions cut off for its newsreader. If you want to ensure that Outlook Express is only used for news reading and not for mail, try adding the " /outnews switch to the desktop startup. (Note the space before the forward slash, and omit the Quotes.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks all...be interesting to know why MS thought they should specifically exclude the Newgroups functionality if the Outlook mail engine is indeed an invocation of OE.

I tried to add the suggested switch (under the OE desktop's properties) but I received an "Access Denied" even though I am logged onto Win NT4.0 Server as an Administrator. Any reason this might be so?

Thanks
    Mike Biber

ril

By the way... I tried to install Outlook 2000 on my machine without any version of Outlook Express installed, and it complained that it may not work quite right.

I didn't want to have OE installed at all[img]/w3timages/icons/clever.gif[/img], but it looks like Outlook may need it to be happy (or as happy as Outlook gets).[img]/w3timages/icons/spook.gif[/img]

New Lounger
    Thanks

On a hunch, I tried running OE from the Run command and the switch worked fine - thanks.
    I just seem to be stumped adding the switch to the OE Desktop icon's properties. Instead, I created a new desktop shortcut and put the switch in. This also works fine. So I have a shortcut called 'OE Newsreader' and this does the job (without having to resubscribe to all my existing newsgroups).

Many thanks...even if there no real answer to the access denied issue.

Mike Biber

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the shortcut is set to read only. fix the properties and all should be well. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

as for excluding news - outlook began it's life as a corporate client for exchange server. businesses don't want people accessing news and if they do, exchange can do NNTP and the admin gets to control what groups are subscribed and who gets to see them.

with the number of bugs and feature ommissions in outlook, news is the last thing power users want added. (it's resource hog as it is, news would only make it worse)

the workaround of using OE with the /outnews switch is easy enough and the ability to flip between news and mail is nice.

finally, yes, outlook needs OE installed - however, if you don't plan on using it, delete the icons and i was told it works to del the msimn.exe and files from the drive. as long as the registry entries remain, it is supposed to work ok. rename the folder and see if it complains.

Lounger
    Thanks

Time for a little history lesson. Outlook (The Office Program) was built from the ground up. The first version did not include the ability to read HTML. Hence, in OUtlook 98, they tied some of the Outlook Express features (ability to render HTML) to Outlook.

Outlook Express is the newer version of Internet Mail and News, the client that shipped with IE 3.02.

The two products, begun separately, converged very briefly with the marriage of HTML into Outlook via OE, then diverged on their separate trails again. There was never one giving birth to the other one product being split into two.

This is a common misconception that is propagated by the unfortunate sharing of the name "Outlook" and Microsoft's decision to release products such as Front Page Express along with Front Page, that do share common functions.

Getting off the soapbox now.

Lounger
    Thanks

Oops - as to your other question, make sure OE is closed when adding the switch. I do not recall now from the beginning of this thread,but you may want to try the switch " /outnews" or alternatively " /newsonly". Make sure each one has the space after the final quote in the shortcut and before the forward slash.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The questions about newsgroups reminds me that this morning I learned that you probably get to newsgroups through OE. see http://smcccd.cc.ca.us/smcccd/faculty/lim/usenet.htm
    a lot of info about usemnet etc.